Cape Ann, Mass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc Harry

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I've reviewed the info about Cape Ann diving at this wonderful website:

Cape Ann Dive Sites

Can anyone add any additional info or suggestions?

Looks like the locals are hostile toward divers?

Parking is a nightmare? Wheh will I pahk mah cah?

I'll be soloing in doubles, don't really feel like humping my gear long distances unless the dive site is really worthwhile. Any specific recommendations one way or the other?

What's your favorite spot for a night dive?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, Divers and Lobster men don't get along very well. The Lobster men always think that ALL divers steal there lobsters out of the traps. So the lobster men could care less about the safety of the divers and don't really care about dive flags.

You need to read the parking signs carefully. There are a lot of parking meters, some take only quarters, others take only dimes, its really screwed up. I like diving at Old Garden Beach. It was a nice dive, very easy entry and free parking. There are a lot of good dives, most have rocky entries though, not easy in dubs. There are some dive boats that take you out. Chester Poling was a good dive, we did the stern section, about 90 feet if I remember depending on tide.

we did front beach back in october. even then it was alittle crowded with people doing their OW certs. to my understanding plum cove/ folly cove both offer great diving with less people due to a rough entry. parking was a serious problem, my buddy dropped me and our gear off at the site and had to drive about half a mile up the road to find parking. it was so nice out he didnt mind the walk.

to beat parking, get there early. we got delayed an hour or so, and parking was a nightmare. the earlier youre there and in the water, the better.

When are you going? Depending on when you are here parking isn't that bad. Most of the sites are well marked with no parking signs or other parking regulations, but if you get there early enough you can easily find a spot.

One of the worst sites in regard to issues with fishermen/lobstermen is Lanes Cove but it can be hit or miss there. Besides there I have had no issues with other people (I can't call them "locals" as I live on Cape Ann)

For a site in doubles Old Garden Beach would be an easy one. There is a ramp down from the street and a short sandy beach. Folly cove is another great site but there is a little bit of a downhill walk to get there. Parking is also an issue there (I'm not sure when the resident parking goes in effect there) but you can park right down the street after dropping gear. Back/Front beaches would be another easy site to get to with a set of doubles but it's a rather boring site IMHO.

I recently dove the Gloucester breakwater, it is a decent dive and is pretty sheltered. It is shallow, I think in the past 2 dives I maxed out at 19 or 20 feet. I recently posted a dive report here.

I would recommend stopping by Cape Ann Divers when you get to Cape Ann and they can point you towards a good site based on the conditions. I know that a lot of us stop by there on the way back from a dive or call in conditions.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask or send me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom