canyon lake report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shaggie

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Since there's been some interest in Canyon Lake on recent posts, I thought I'd go dive it again. Not to suprisingly the conditions are very much like Travis last weekend. We went to North Park (which is free on weekdays to divers and $12 per car if there is a camp site available) about 2 this afternoon. The sun was shining the winds were calm and the water actually looked like there might be some good vis. So, we geared up, and jumped in. The vis was about 0-8 for the first 40 ft then it cleared to 5-8 to about the 60 ft mark after that it steadily decreased. We turned skyward at 90ft and continued the dive in the direction of the dam at about 75 ft. There are quite a few downed trees with lots of mono on them. Since they are on there sides and not standing you can't go under the braches, this makes for a little more difficult route.
Once we reached our turn around point we swam back at about 35 ft. Lots of trash and some-not alot-of fish. Only UW point of reference I found was a sunken boat at 25ft straight off our entry point.

John

No float or flag (my bad). Why?

I made a dive there about two years ago and saw an instructor teaching a class. She asked where my float was and informed me that tensions between divers and fishermen had gotten bad. The enforcement individuals were supposedly cracking down on divers carrying the required dive flag.

TwoBit

Actualy, my dive buddy forgot to bring his flag and mine swam away last year on that very same lake. I've never been hassled about not having a flag. If I was, I supose I could say it's still out there, somewhere!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom