Can't decide where to go for 3weeks vacation (JAN - FEB) with R&R + Diving as main focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I've been trawling the forums for a while now and I can't really make up my mind on where to go for a nice 3week holiday in mid Jan - early Feb 2017.

Girlfriend and I and both AoW with 100-150 dives and we've been to Bali, Lombok, Gili, Tioman, Langkawi, Egypt, Philippines (Puerto Galera - Bohol - Siquijor - Apo Island), Curacao, Fiji, Vietnam.

We're looking for something a bit more .. wow? Meaning that after a while we all get a bit tired of the average reef dive with the guide banging his tank to show off a lion fish or a morray eel.

We've looked at Palau and Raja Ampat, but with just the flights and accomodations for Palau coming in at 3000 USD + 5 days diving being 1050 USD per person (and we'd ideally need 10 days of diving) it's getting hard to justify with our budget of 3800-4250 USD per person.

Does anyone have some good ideas on where to go?

Komodo and Bali seems like poor choices in the Jan - Feb time period due to bad weather and Raja Ampat looks to be near the price of Palau in terms of expenses although the food + deco beer / soda may very well be cheaper.

Really looking for a "hidden gem" or some inspiration here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Should be mentioned that we're flying from Denmark so it's kind of in the middle between SEA and Americas

From Denmark, a couple of weeks of liveaboard in the Red Sea, perhaps some land excursion in Cairo/the Nile (Luxor/Aswan/Abu Simbel), probably could fit your budget. Then I read perhaps you're already done this trip :(, sorry

Yea, we've been to Egypt 7 times both liveaboard and land based so that's not an option. Should be something different although for anybody else wondering Egypt is incredible value for money.

Only caveat reg. Egypt is the situation in the country atm.

Maldives? Sipadan? I'm not the under water expert like others, but Maldives is high on my above water list.

Yea, we've been to Egypt 7 times both liveaboard and land based so that's not an option. Should be something different although for anybody else wondering Egypt is incredible value for money.

Only caveat reg. Egypt is the situation in the country atm.

Hi Frederick, best of luck on arranging your vacation. For others:

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in Cairo and on the Nile in February. We felt safe the entire time, were with a small group of 8-10 with a guide most of the trip. Lack of tourism is terrible for Egypt, great as a visitor to be there without the hordes. We flew into Cairo, flew to and from Cairo and Luxor, and to and from Aswan and Abu Simbel. Best, most interesting vacation we ever had.

I spent 2 weeks on the Red Sea in April/May. Great diving, hammerheads, threshers, mantas, tons of reef fish and beautiful reefs. I flew into Hurghada and had a car to Port Ghalib (Marsa Alam). It's possible to fly directly to Marsa Alam from Cairo. The liveaboard deals are very good.

Good diving, Craig

Perhaps Tofo, Mozambique?

Actually Komodo during that time is pretty nice. Most the LOBS have moved to Raja so there is not as many divers around and the weather is cooler, Komodo will be much drier than Bali but even when I've been in Bali during that time period it hasn't rained much, and there are certainly less crowds. Komodo diving is awesome and as you know Bali is great too, and then you can relax on some Balinese beach that you like.

Raja Amat can be pricey and a LOB is the way to go, yet the diving is phenomanal.
The Missol area is really special, with the most incredible dive sites I've ever seen, you really should look into it more.

Hi guys and gals,

I've been trawling the forums for a while now and I can't really make up my mind on where to go for a nice 3week holiday in mid Jan - early Feb 2017.

Girlfriend and I and both AoW with 100-150 dives and we've been to Bali, Lombok, Gili, Tioman, Langkawi, Egypt, Philippines (Puerto Galera - Bohol - Siquijor - Apo Island), Curacao, Fiji, Vietnam.

We're looking for something a bit more .. wow? Meaning that after a while we all get a bit tired of the average reef dive with the guide banging his tank to show off a lion fish or a morray eel.

We've looked at Palau and Raja Ampat, but with just the flights and accomodations for Palau coming in at 3000 USD + 5 days diving being 1050 USD per person (and we'd ideally need 10 days of diving) it's getting hard to justify with our budget of 3800-4250 USD per person.

Komodo and Bali seems like poor choices in the Jan - Feb time period due to bad weather and Raja Ampat looks to be near the price of Palau in terms of expenses although the food + deco beer / soda may very well be cheaper.

Really looking for a "hidden gem" or some inspiration here. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Should be mentioned that we're flying from Denmark so it's kind of in the middle between SEA and Americas
Socorro

French Polynesia - specifically Rangiroa. If that excites you and it should... then look at Fakarava... pass diving will be a great addition to what you've experienced and put the wow in your dive vacation.

Not on their budget. I think Rocio del Mar is the cheapest - 9 day trip for $3400pp. Nautilus prices closer to $3700-4300.

Plus the flight from Denmark.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom