Can't decide where to dive in Belize!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol. That's just something the dive guides like to do, take your fins off for you when you're ready to come up the ladder. From their perspective, it's probably a bit of a safety issue since some divers could struggle with it. At least at Splash, they only offer to do it so you know it's coming.

But I've never cared for it. Something kind of creepy and a little demeaning about messing with my feet. So I always tell them no thanks, I'll do it myself. And they let me opt out with no problem. It helps that I have spring straps so the fins are pretty easy to pop off.

I use a fin kick to get me up on the boat. Take my gear off first, push the tank up from the bottom to aid the boat guy, grab the gunwale, and with a fin kick and pull, climb aboard. I would be pissed if someone grabbed and tried to pull my fins off. Never heard of that and when I worked as a DM and instructor years ago, I would never have tried to do that. It’s almost asking for a fight.

Hank49, it's become a new "thing" in Belize. I believe it started out as a way of hurrying along the reboarding process (which can be important during high swells) and has become a "service".

I haven't had my fins unexpectedly torn off my feet but the first time was a bit of a surprise, not that I minded. It amused me more than anything.

Hank49, I believe it started out as a way of hurrying along the reboarding process (which can be important during high swells) and has become a "service".
I don’t know. Treating the divers like little kids....maybe I’m getting old and grumpy but I would tell a DM that pulled my fin off, “there went your tip”.....

Back
Top Bottom