Can't decide-diving with Hamanasi or Turneffe Lodge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RSpradlin

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, my husband and I are planning our first dive vacation in two years and want to go to Belize for the first time. Initially, we were to stay at Hamanasi in hopes of diving with the whale sharks during the full moon. However, if eight divers do not book that week, then not only will they not do that dive, but they also will not take us out to the Atolls for diving. Only diving on the nearby reef all week, I believe.

Our other option is go to Turneffe Lodge for fantastic (so we think) diving close by all week. But, it has always been my dream to dive with the whale sharks.

I understand Hamansi can't tell us in advance if there will be enough divers. And, I'm willing to take that chance if the alternative diving on the reef is world class diving and worth it. This will probably be a once in a lifetime trip for us and we want to make sure we dive accordingly.

Can anyone give us any insight as to which direction to go? Is diving on the Southern Barrier Reef all week worth a once in a lifetime trip? Thank you so much for your time!

Robin

I've never stayed at the Turneffe Lodge but sure hope to one of these days. I have however made the trip to Turneffe for diving on two occasions while staying on Ambergris. The diving was awesome out there, my wife and I both think the dives were far better then those around the Ambergris area. Not to say there weren't good dives near San Pedro, but each of the dives we did out at Turneffe was truly special Huge sponges, great coral, great diversity of fish life. Keep in mind that most of the diving around the area (or at least all that we did) are deeper then some other destinations. No deco dives are still easy to do, just keep an eye on your computer and bottom times.

Dive safe, BK

I've never stayed at Hamansi, so I can't help there, but my wife and I spent two weeks at Turneffe Island Resort (then Turneffe Island Lodge) summer before last and absolutely loved it. We both agreed it was the best vacation we'd ever had.

Although there were no whale sharks, one of the many highlights of that trip was our run-in with a pod of about 20 Short Fin Pilot Whales which lasted for about 20 minutes as they circled our dive group, coming so close at times you could almost reach out and touch them. But you shouldn't count on that either as the divemaster said he had never seen them before.

We liked TIR so much that we're almost certainly going back next summer, which is something we almost never do as there's just so much to see and do out there. There was another couple there from Texas who had been coming every other summer for something like 15 years, which gave us the idea that we might want to do the same.

Sometimes I gush about the place so much I sound like a paid advertisement. But for us it was just an ideal vacation: first-rate accomodations, wonderful diving, great food and great service, all in a tropical island setting. If I had the $$, I'd buy the place and happily retire there.

I'd go for Turneffe. I could dive the Elbow for a week staight and not get tired of it.

I've not stayed or dived at either, but I know both have good reputations. There is another option that I can think of. Thatch Caye is a private island resort near the barrier reef quite close to Hamanasi, and they have their own small dive center. They will take even small groups to see the whale sharks, and as they just have a run down inside the reef they can offer a pretty smooth ride. They also tend to go later in the day than other operators as they're so close, and that improves the chances of a sighting enormously. I know their viewing "hit rate" is very high. It's a nice place to stay as well! Check them out as another option. The Thatch Caye (I'm not connected to them, tho' I do like them).

I've just thought - TCR is well located to dive the southern section of the Barrier Reef, Glover's Atoll and Turneffe Atoll, and isn't very far from the third atoll, Lighthouse.

We have done the whale shark every year and we have had a high percentage of successful dives. If you allow several days of diving for whale shark you have a great chance of seeing them. It is true 8 divers are needed for atoll dives and whale shark but these are high demand dives which divers book far in advance for the opportunity to see the whale shark and we usually have more than enough divers to fill the quota for whale shark.
Please feel free to email us at reservations@hamanasi.com for further information and availability for whale shark dates.

I'd go for Turneffe. I could dive the Elbow for a week staight and not get tired of it.

Ditto!

Turneffe Island Lodge is great. I didn't see any whale sharks but the diving was great. Sort of like a liveaboard on land. Your stuff is kept at the dive shop. Dive sites 5-10 minute ride away. You'll love it!

Splash Dive Shop in Placencia does whale shark dives and has a very high sucess rate. I have seen whale sharks on 9 out of 11 dives. Splash offers reef diving and marine park diving and then goes to Gladden Spit for whale sharks when there is a high percentage chance of seeing whale sharks. Spash can also pick you up at the airport in Placencia and can arrange accommodations. Website is splashbelize.com

We are headed down for 2 weeks in April and were trying to decide where to stay, etc. I'm sold on TIR after reading the above posts. Thanks.

We stayed at Hamanasi several years ago, and the diving was great. We saw no Whale sharks, but we were not there at the right time. They always had a decent group of divers and we had a wide range of choices for sites. Huge sponges, shark, turtle, etc.

We loved how the small resort had an old world feel to it, kind of like we were back in a turn of the century edge of nowhere lodge. And access to mainland jungle and ancient ruins, not available at other resorts was a big plus for my gf.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom