Canon WP-DC Housings: Reliability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

......Exactly @ G10. You gotta just pick a setup and buy all the stuff that goes with it or you will have lens-envy forever and wind up never having a decent setup. Thats the same above water......

But I have always had LENS-envy....even after I upgraded and bought all the toys. I am still buying toys for my camera and I still want bigger and better. I get through the lens-envy knowing that I am not a photographer (amateur or otherwise) and it therefore does not make sense to go all out yet. I will work my way up there for sure.

I was only teasing you, enjoy your new camera and I am sure it will do very well for you. It is impossible to keep up with the newest and bestest. I will wait for the P6000 and then get in a fuss when the G10 comes out--;0. What can you do, sit on the fence or jump in. You jumped in, good for you, the water will be fine.

Your right about film also, I also have a darkroom and film Nikon SLRs with lenses that are not surpassed even today. I think the camera companies have not been pushing optical technology because of all their efforts on electronics and chips. It will take at least 40MP, full size sensors and more dynamic range to equal film. That will be a few more generations yet. N

I think the last article I read stated 46 mp was needed to match the quality of 35mm.

I have to make an honest statement here. I don't think digital sensors will ever equal film. Especially nothing like Medium format. They may come close to 35mm.

At the end of the day, if you are a good photographer, what you see in the frame hits the film and thats what you get. There is no interpretation of color, what hits the film is what the camera saw. There are no blotchy solid color areas, noise nonsense, jagged edges, mistaken white balance, or shutter lag to mar an image.

There is something visceral about knowing that when the shutter of a film SLR clicks you just saved a moment in time. On a digital, you made a computerized rendition of that moment.

Some of the most famous photos on earth even taken with film SLR's could be shot 10,000 times with a digital and I guarantee you'd never get the same results.

Does that mean I give up on digital cameras? Hardly. Being able to take 2gb of pics per "roll" is ridiculous. And they will only get better. Just saying that there will always be a market for a film camera.

And I don't believe I've ever seen a film photograph with "purple fringing." (That wasn't done on purpose)

On the original question, I've used a WP-DC800 down to 155' with complete success. It functioned properly and didn't leak, even though it's only rated to 130'.

Note that any housing will leak if extreme care isn't taken every time the housing is opened to ensure there is no dirt on the O-ring and mating surfaces. This is the main reason I've pretty well stopped using that Canon - the battery life is such that I can only get two dives out of it if I don't take many shots. The Casio I now use will comfortably do seven dives. That means there's no need to open the housing on the boat, always the most hazardous time.

I've never been keen on the G9 as it's too big to be a pocket camera yet doesn't have the facilities of a DSLR. I use a DSLR (Canon 1Ds III), and to partner it I want a camera I can slip into my pocket so have with me at all times. The SD950IS does that job, the G9 doesn't. I don't know anything about the new Nikon though - is it G9-sized?

Oh, whoever said that a digital camera needs to have 40mp to match film doesn't understand the technology, or know current cameras. I'd put my Canon DSLR up against any 35mm film camera, no matter what size enlargement.

Hey look, another 'f vs d' debate ROFLMAO :D Haven't seen one of those in a while, thought we were all past that :wink:

My Canon housings take a beating and keep on ticking, so you may find that it suits you perfectly to get started with your new G9 (congrats by the way!) As posted about, a tray, arm and strobe are no more hassle to attach to the Canon than to the Ike, so once you find a system you like you'll be good to go.

Now, finish shopping, hit the water and show us some photos - we hate being kept in suspense!!

I think the last article I read stated 46 mp was needed to match the quality of 35mm.

I have to make an honest statement here. I don't think digital sensors will ever equal film. Especially nothing like Medium format. They may come close to 35mm.

At the end of the day, if you are a good photographer, what you see in the frame hits the film and thats what you get. There is no interpretation of color, what hits the film is what the camera saw. There are no blotchy solid color areas, noise nonsense, jagged edges, mistaken white balance, or shutter lag to mar an image.

There is something visceral about knowing that when the shutter of a film SLR clicks you just saved a moment in time. On a digital, you made a computerized rendition of that moment.

Some of the most famous photos on earth even taken with film SLR's could be shot 10,000 times with a digital and I guarantee you'd never get the same results.

Does that mean I give up on digital cameras? Hardly. Being able to take 2gb of pics per "roll" is ridiculous. And they will only get better. Just saying that there will always be a market for a film camera.

And I don't believe I've ever seen a film photograph with "purple fringing." (That wasn't done on purpose)

Well, some people enjoy a finely aged wine, others, Ripple will do or even Boone's Farm if drunk is all your interested in. LOL

N

Well, some people enjoy a finely aged wine, others, Ripple will do or even Boone's Farm if drunk is all your interested in. LOL

N

lmao. Nicely put.

To the earlier poster - I'll take the challenge against your 1D, with my Rollei 6008.

Side note - just received the canon housing. Gonna head out back to the pool and see what I can find to take pictures of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom