Canon WP-DC Housings: Reliability?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPG3K

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok. All of you that helped me with the 1030SW thread are going to hate me forever.

I actually have some good news, but it comes at the expense of some so-so news.

After extensive deliberation with the wife, we decided that she will be taking my 570 and using it. She conceded that I dive much more, and that if we are getting a new camera, I should get it, since she gets everything else she wants. (Please, pray that she never reads this.)

So, I've decided that instead of the 1030sw, which she was so dead-set on, I'll go back to my original dream of a Canon G9.

I just sold my Nikon D40, against my better judgment, but the math was was just unbeatable. It was going to cost me 1000+ for a body housing alone, and I only own, and only ever planned to own 1 or 2 lenses, only 1 of which was good underwater. I just couldn't justify the expense. Not when a G9 AND Housing can be had for like 650$ tops.

So, anyways, I bought the G9 yesterday, and now I have the next dilemma. Big money for an Ikelite Housing, or a Canon housing.

I know I will eventually want the Ikelite, but in the interest of budget, I'm considering the Canon housing first. I know the Canon will not support the Inon gear, etc, but right now it's much more affordable than the 600$ Ikelite.

So, that being said, this question is probably an easy one.

I know nothing about the Canon housings other than the fact that they exist. Is it worth the 179.00 for the Canon? Are they decently reliable? The one on my 570 has seen water one time in a 20 foot dive to a quarry.

Will the Canon stay watertight reliably at 90-100 feet?

Also considering Dan's H20 insurance. But they have a 250$ water deductible, thats a third of the cost of my setup =/.

I have a Canon housing for my old Powershot S50 and logged about 150 dives with it in warm and cold water. The depths ranged from 30 to 95 and everything was great. As long as you treat it right, you should have no problems. I would recommend the Ikelite housing if you ever will add onto the system but if you will never want strobes etc., stick the with Canon. Remember that you need to test the unit and inspect it frequently (inspection every use) and keep the o-ring free of any build up and foreign matter and well lubricated. This gores for any underwater housing...your wife will love either but remember that if you plan on expanding it....go with the Ikelite (IMHO).

I have a Canon housing for my old Powershot S50 and logged about 150 dives with it in warm and cold water. The depths ranged from 30 to 95 and everything was great. As long as you treat it right, you should have no problems. I would recommend the Ikelite housing if you ever will add onto the system but if you will never want strobes etc., stick the with Canon. Remember that you need to test the unit and inspect it frequently (inspection every use) and keep the o-ring free of any build up and foreign matter and well lubricated. This gores for any underwater housing...your wife will love either but remember that if you plan on expanding it....go with the Ikelite (IMHO).

One more thing....I know in a previous post somebody really disagreed with my comments on weights of set-ups, but since it is your wife, you may want to consider it as an issue. The Ike will be heavier for sure and negative where the WPDC will be lighter and almost neutral as I recall. Just one more thing to consider.

My personal recommendation is get the housing you can put strobes on.

I have a Canon housing for a S1 IS and with the magic filter my pics turned out OK at shallow depths (less than 10'). Without strobes it's difficult to get enough ambient light at depth for a good picture.

The housing itself is great, just be sure to rinse it throughly and inspect and lube the O ring before taking it back into the water. I took mine to 100 feet in Bonaire, no problems.

Ok. All of you that helped me with the 1030SW thread are going to hate me forever.

I actually have some good news, but it comes at the expense of some so-so news.

After extensive deliberation with the wife, we decided that she will be taking my 570 and using it. She conceded that I dive much more, and that if we are getting a new camera, I should get it, since she gets everything else she wants. (Please, pray that she never reads this.)

So, I've decided that instead of the 1030sw, which she was so dead-set on, I'll go back to my original dream of a Canon G9.

I just sold my Nikon D40, against my better judgment, but the math was was just unbeatable. It was going to cost me 1000+ for a body housing alone, and I only own, and only ever planned to own 1 or 2 lenses, only 1 of which was good underwater. I just couldn't justify the expense. Not when a G9 AND Housing can be had for like 650$ tops.

So, anyways, I bought the G9 yesterday, and now I have the next dilemma. Big money for an Ikelite Housing, or a Canon housing.

I know I will eventually want the Ikelite, but in the interest of budget, I'm considering the Canon housing first. I know the Canon will not support the Inon gear, etc, but right now it's much more affordable than the 600$ Ikelite.

So, that being said, this question is probably an easy one.

I know nothing about the Canon housings other than the fact that they exist. Is it worth the 179.00 for the Canon? Are they decently reliable? The one on my 570 has seen water one time in a 20 foot dive to a quarry.

Will the Canon stay watertight reliably at 90-100 feet?

Also considering Dan's H20 insurance. But they have a 250$ water deductible, thats a third of the cost of my setup =/.

You will be fine. Here is my rig: Canon G9 housing with Athena tray and Inon arm and YS110 strobe with fibre optic cable. The Ike will give you depth but the Canon housing is very capable down to 130

http://

I have been using a Canon case with my S1. No issues, the deepest was 120'. I recommend the Canon cases although I consider the Ikelite case a better product. Remember, any case can fail. Most failures are the main seal and dirt or hair. Keep the seal and surface clean, all should go well.

Whoa, whoa, hold dem horses there. Did you know that Nikon is on the way with a superior camera, the P6000, and that there will be housings for it sure as the day follows the night. Fantasea is working on one now. The camera is likely to be anounced this fall for Christmas or sooner.

Nikon P6000 Reviews, Sample Photos and References: Digital Photography Notes

http://rawsumer.blogspot.com/2008/07/rumor-is-nikon-p6000-with-raw-real.html

I have never owned a Fantasea housing but they certainly appear to be more rugged than Canon housings but of course not quite on par with Ikelite some might think.

N

I knew that would happen. In fact as I walked in to buy the G9, I said to the clerk "about 10 days after I buy this Nikon will released a newer, better camera for the same price."

But, truth be told, I like the G9. As an amateur (at best) topside photog, I really enjoy the G9. I got to use one extensively during some photography classes earlier in the year.

Also, as far as P&S cameras go, I like Canon over Nikon, just personal preference.

The ISO dial on the G9 was a major selling point for me, especially under water. Also, 6x optical on the G9 is nice. And as you all know, the difference between 12 and 13 mp is negligible, especially from a compact camera.

Ordinarily, I would have been angry, but I don't see that camera making me jealous enough to return the Canon.

28mm lens wouldn't hurt the G9, though.

The 6X lens of the Canon is detrimental to underwater use thus the Patima and Ikelite needing two different lens ports (short and long) and the potential zoom damage resulting from the too long lens jamming against the short port. When I found all that out I decided to wait for the Nikon (and settle for the 570 in the interim) which uses a more reasonable 4X zoom. Who knows what will really happen except that as soon as there is a P6000 there will follow a G10---lol. The dope I am reading the controls and set up on the P6000 are better suited to underwater but it is all smoke and mirrors now. That is my bet, could be wrong. Good luck with your old yesterday's G9, ha ha. N

The 6X lens of the Canon is detrimental to underwater use thus the Patima and Ikelite needing two different lens ports (short and long) and the potential zoom damage resulting from the too long lens jamming against the short port. When I found all that out I decided to wait for the Nikon (and settle for the 570 in the interim) which uses a more reasonable 4X zoom. Who knows what will really happen except that as soon as there is a P6000 there will follow a G10---lol. The dope I am reading the controls and set up on the P6000 are better suited to underwater but it is all smoke and mirrors now. That is my bet, could be wrong. Good luck with your old yesterday's G9, ha ha. N

Sadly enough, thats actually true.

The way digicam technology goes these days, it's like one month of glory and then it's "you have THAT old thing? I figure the 12mp on the G9 should hold me for a while.

Exactly @ G10. You gotta just pick a setup and buy all the stuff that goes with it or you will have lens-envy forever and wind up never having a decent setup. Thats the same above water.

It's also the reason I refuse to spend big money for a DSLR right now. In 6 months the best ones out there will be old news. And, DSLR's are still nowhere close to the 40-something MPs needed to match 35mm film.

I don't care what anyone says, the shots taken on my Minolta Maxxum 5 that I develop by hand in a darkroom never show any of the problems my digi's seem to run into when printing.

Call me old fashioned I guess =D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom