Canon wide angle Lense

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmp

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello,

I will first say - I know NOTHING about cameras. I am the support team that floats behind the camera girl (my wife) looking at everything while she takes pictures. She is shooting with a Canon DSLR camera (not sure on the model)

That being said - How do I go about finding a decent wide angle lense, for underwater pics that would also be decent if she wants to use it on land as well??

I see alot of people recommend Tokina 11-16 f2.8 ? (these numbers might as well be a chemistry lesson to me)

And ports this and that? Does she need a port with this lens - I am attempting this as a christmas gift.

DSLRs come in two sizes of sensors. In Nikon, they are called FX and DX. Another name of FX is "full frame". The full frame sensor is the same size as the old 35 mm film SLR cameras. Since sensors are expensive, the bigger the sensor the greater the cost.

Now, I am assuming that she does not have a full frame lens. A way to be sure is to get a look at the camera, write down the model and check it out on Digital Photography Review as to its sensor size.

Certain lenses can only be used most effectively by DX DSLRs while others can be used by both full frame and DX DSLRs. The problem is that because of the larger sensor, the lens that performs well for a full frame lens costs more. It is tricky to get the image hitting the larger sensor without distortion.

For the smaller sensor size, Tokina makes a superb wide angle lens. It is the Tokina 10-17 fisheye. I have it. It is not a lens that I would get for topside use but for underwater photography it is very, very good. Oddly enough, it works very well for boat photos. The last time I had it on, I tried some boat shots. Because it is a fisheye, the lines are bent but that is OK because divers fooling around on the boat after the dive are just messing around and the bent lines fit the mood. You will probably need a port for that lens also. The lens focuses very close so the dome you will need will only have to be a 4" or 100 mm. But it will have to be capatable with the housing your wife has.

However, as you might have noticed, there are some technical aspects to this. You might want to wrap and empty box and put a note inside that it is good for one wide angle lens and port. You could also call Backscatter (on the web) in New York City or Reef Photo in Fort Lauderdale and they could fix you up. Both shops will almost certainly have what you need and they have experts to help you.

DSLRs come in two sizes of sensors. In Nikon, they are called FX and DX. Another name of FX is "full frame". The full frame sensor is the same size as the old 35 mm film SLR cameras. Since sensors are expensive, the bigger the sensor the greater the cost.

Now, I am assuming that she does not have a full frame lens. A way to be sure is to get a look at the camera, write down the model and check it out on Digital Photography Review as to its sensor size.

Certain lenses can only be used most effectively by DX DSLRs while others can be used by both full frame and DX DSLRs. The problem is that because of the larger sensor, the lens that performs well for a full frame lens costs more. It is tricky to get the image hitting the larger sensor without distortion.

For the smaller sensor size, Tokina makes a superb wide angle lens. It is the Tokina 10-17 fisheye. I have it. It is not a lens that I would get for topside use but for underwater photography it is very, very good. Oddly enough, it works very well for boat photos. The last time I had it on, I tried some boat shots. Because it is a fisheye, the lines are bent but that is OK because divers fooling around on the boat after the dive are just messing around and the bent lines fit the mood. You will probably need a port for that lens also. The lens focuses very close so the dome you will need will only have to be a 4" or 100 mm. But it will have to be capatable with the housing your wife has.

However, as you might have noticed, there are some technical aspects to this. You might want to wrap and empty box and put a note inside that it is good for one wide angle lens and port. You could also call Backscatter (on the web) in New York City or Reef Photo in Fort Lauderdale and they could fix you up. Both shops will almost certainly have what you need and they have experts to help you.

+1 for the Tokina 10-17. It's fun both below the water and above. Slight correction to above post; Backscatter is NOT in New York City. They have 2 stores, one in Monterey, California and the other is in New Hampshire. Both Backscatter & Reef Photo are fantastic places :)

thanks guys - much appreciated I will take at look .....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom