Canon wide angle lens/port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a 7D and both the Tokina 10-17 Fisheye as well as the Canon 10-22 rectilinear lens.

I happened to but the whole set used and it came with both lenses. If i only had one lens to keep, it would be the 10-22 as it works great topside and I love using it for travel. The 10-17 Fisheye is preferred for UW but I like the versatility of the non-fisheye 10-22 Canon. Personal preference of course.

DIVER ON KITTIWAKE BOW.jpgKITTIWAKE.jpgKITTIWAKE PROPELLER.jpgSEA FAN DIVERS.jpg

I've been using the Tokina 10-17mm for some time and these are the kind of shots you can get using this lens, You have to remember to fill the frame as much as possible with your subject otherwise you are having to crop a lot. On smaller subjects i.e. fish , lobsters, eels you have to get close enough so that they fill the frame. I am still learning on this lens but it has the ability to take some very nice shots.

17-40 is the one I use on my 5d mark 2. It would not be wide enough for me for the 7d. I'd look at Tokina or Tamron, stay away from the Canon EF-S and seriously consider the 8-15 fisheye!
However, you wouldnt buy the EF 17-40 to use with a 7D for it to be a wideangle lense, you would use it as a moderate wa to moderate macro zoom lense - the kinda lense youd bring on a "anything can happen" dive?

Back
Top Bottom