Canon SD camera questions - moved from Best UW Camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

starlan

Contributor
Reaction score
Funny I have a Dimage XG and really like it as well (for what it is), I even have some surprisingly good pictures from it underwater (after adjusting levels a lil on the pc though). Anyways, I like it but wish I had more manual control (shutter and white balance to be specific) and so I am seriously considering getting a compact Canon Powershot since im used to the XG and want something small. My father recently got the SD450 and Ive played around with it and like it. Im looking into the SD600 with 6MP and 2.5L"CD. This looks like a nice upgrade from the XG with 3.2MP and 1.6"LCD. Canon also released a model called the SD630 along with the SD600 which I also saw at Best Buy, it has a huuuge 3"LCD but no viewfinder (which I dont use too often but nonetheless I still do sometimes especially under very bright conditions). Im looking into one of these 6MP Canons and cant decide which one to buy. I am especially weary about buying one now because my dads model the SD450 only has a case that is rated to 10ft by Canon? I dont get it? The SD550 has one rated to 130ft? (************s making you spend more money to buy the 7MP model if you want to shoot while diving.). So does anyone know if the SD600 or SD630 will have an underwater case that I can use while diving and not just a horrid 10ft one. This is obviosuly a deciding factor in me getting the SD600 or SD630. I also saw the SD700 IS, which is also 6MP but with Image Stabilizer, not sure if its worth an extra $150 for Image Stabilizer and its also significantly bigger (again saw at Best Buy).

Does the S80 come more recommended than the SD600 with regards to picture quality? (disregarding the higher MP and zoom). I havent actually held one of these? Im assuming the SD series are a lot thinner and compact and with pic quality close to S80, is this a safe assumption? Any other recommendations by anyone for a camera with GOOD image quality like Canon that is also very compact and has at least exposure and white balance as manual custom settings). The pic quality of my dads sd450 is much better then my XG, (but I still love the XG)

Well after research online, I found that all three models (SD600, SD630 and SD700IS) will all have their own underwater cases rated to 130ft each. Very nice. Now, I just have to choose one (SD600 seems to be the best choice as viewfinder is always needed as a backup I think which SD630 lacks). Dont think SD700 IS is worth the extra money for Image Stab (also comprimising size too). Does this feauture even work well underwater? I know I dont need it on land. For long exposure shots Ill keep the camera on steady ground. Extra zoom range I can live without. Anyone have any experience with these or any of the SD line-up in general for underwater shooting? Also do most of you use the Underwater scene mode, or use custom white balance to define "white" underwater

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom