Canon S95 camera specifics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the many responses!

@diver85 - thanks for the links, I think those videos are fine, they don't seem to exhibit the problem, at least not too noticeable. I think I should test the video outside on a good day and see if its better...

@Gilligan - yeah, I could shoot just RAW without JPG, the main reason I did this was because I think on the old S70, something didn't quite work on playback when the photos were just RAW, I can't remember now... just an old habit. Also, I'm considering an iPad/iPad 2 for taking on these international holidays, for work email etc, but also to view the photos. I'm not sure it will convert the RAW files, not having one yet - most places we stay don't have TV or have TVs without input options so it would be nice to playback on something bigger than 3" !

@Warmwater Wank (wow!) - You're right, I guess space is quite cheap, I was looking at the Class 10 cards and they are a lot more $$$ but looks like the Class 6 cards are the sweet spot - they aren't too bad. I think I will get me some of those! I'm not expecting the housing for 3-4 weeks, it gets a lot harder to return things here after 4 weeks I think, so I will cross fingers the mode dial works in the housing. Which DSLR do you recommend for that white window work? Heh, maybe there's a market there for selling pics?

@slowhands - its definitely not easy to turn for me, but I asked my wife and she said it was "OK". I must have the wrong kind of hands! I also delete any sub-par shots after each dive session, I'm just hoping the rate of keepers is much higher than with my older camera... I would love to take a laptop on holiday each time, but a lot of airlines from UK limit hand luggage to something like 7Kg per person; once you've got camera, housing, lenses (wouldn't want those in the hold), dive computer, book, iPod etc etc, a laptop is just that bit too much! Although a small netbook might do it, don't know about viewing photos on those. I must check the weight of an iPad... And where we holiday, the average "WiFi" is about the speed of a 32Kbaud modem (lol!)

@Nemrod - I agree about the video. I had a Sony SD camcorder for a while and rented a light&motion housing for it, also had a Sony A1 HD and L&M housing for a trip, stunning results from those... so expensive to buy it all though, and quite bulky. I was really torn between going for the video option (big $$$) or DSLR (prob 5D mkII - almost as much all in)... but I decided to go compact photo, hence the S95. I guess I was hoping the video would be a nice addition to the photo, I will give it a go UW and see how it turns out. I will see how everything turns out this trip and purchase an additional camera if I'm really happy with it - you're right, no point buying all this kit if something happens to the camera, impossible to replace that once Canon have moved on to the next model. And yes, I think I'm over-criticising the noise issue, considering that sensor size...

@Puffer Fish - I've been testing indoors, with poor light outside, so perhaps that's why I'm concerned. When the sun eventually appears in our land, I'll get outside and try it! Love the lizard, I always try to shoot them (camera!) whenever I see one.

I'm going to keep turning the mode dial and see if it "loosens" up (just trying it now and I can't get it to move at all!) - otherwise I may have a word with Amazon and see if they'll replace it for me. I give them enough business...

Thanks again everyone
-Durwin

Ripple, do you have a housing for that S95 ? Any issue with the dial in there ? The mode dial on my S70 is a doddle (easy) to move, it has better grooves on the edges...

I'm happy to report that despite the stiff mode dial on my new Canon S95, the RecSea S95 housing I've just received appears to manage OK turning the dial, although I do have to apply a bit of downward pressure to get it to turn every time, but that's easy enough to do. I am finding it hard getting the camera OUT of the housing each time, its such a snug fit (that's with the mode dial on the housing pulled up) - I have to kind of hold it upside down and shake it a bit before it drops out - will have to devise a better way of doing that...
-Durwin

I'm happy to report that despite the stiff mode dial on my new Canon S95, the RecSea S95 housing I've just received appears to manage OK turning the dial, although I do have to apply a bit of downward pressure to get it to turn every time, but that's easy enough to do. I am finding it hard getting the camera OUT of the housing each time, its such a snug fit (that's with the mode dial on the housing pulled up) - I have to kind of hold it upside down and shake it a bit before it drops out - will have to devise a better way of doing that...
-Durwin

i too have this problem and kinda have to give it a gentle slap to get it out :idk: also my mode dial can be a bit stiff in the recsea housing and i also have to kinda push it down to turn it, it moreless feels like it skins along the top and doesnt turn unless i put some gentle pressure on it.....however, absolutely love the housing and worth every penny dont bother with the canon this one is a babe :cool2:

Mine is also hard to turn (bought less than a week ago), here's a tip: Try using the back of your knuckle/joint than than the end/tip of your thumb! Much easier for me..

I must have a different brand of knuckles, it doesn't get any easier when I try it that way :D Actually, it is better when I use the side of my thumb rather than the flat part...

I'm getting concerned about removing the camera from the housing, last time I tried it I had to shake it quite hard and that's a sure way to end up with a flooded housing... I couldn't find anything appropriate to fish it out with that wouldn't potentially cause damage to the housing either (continuous levering, maybe distort the housing?)
Hmmm...

I must have a different brand of knuckles, it doesn't get any easier when I try it that way :D Actually, it is better when I use the side of my thumb rather than the flat part...

I'm getting concerned about removing the camera from the housing, last time I tried it I had to shake it quite hard and that's a sure way to end up with a flooded housing... I couldn't find anything appropriate to fish it out with that wouldn't potentially cause damage to the housing either (continuous levering, maybe distort the housing?)
Hmmm...

Maybe I am getting old and fussy but really, are you sure it is that difficult to do:confused:

Reach in on the left side with your pinky finger and push the camera to the right and up. Make sure you have lifted the mode dial control free and clear of the camera mode dial FIRST. Turn the camera housing over so that it rests in your palm of your hand and if the camera does not fall out give it a gentle shake. This will damage nothing. A credit card or other soft plastic piece could be used to help dislodge the camera in the same way as your pinky finger as well.

The reason the camera appears to stick in the housing is because the front ring control seats down into the housing interface for that control quite snugly so that it does not slip.

This is one of those mountain vs a mole hill sort of things, calm down, relax, take a deep breath, do not resort to pocket knives, pry bars or other odd things :no:.

N

Just a little feed back for everyone here. I purchased an S95 and Canon WP-DC38 waterproof case, last week. I know others have highlighted some of this but I'll summaries it all in one place.

- Mode Dial is hard to turn on the camera, doesn't bother me though because my other half has a Panasonic zr-1 and it's dial moves with no effort and always changes modes!

- Low light performance compared to my other camera's (Olympus tough 8000, Panasonic zr-1) is amazing. Canon traded MPixels for better low light sensitivity.

- Once in the waterproof case the camera mode dial is actually easier to change, the large textured mode knob is far easier to turn than the actual camera knob when out of the case.

- the camera is easy to put in and remove from the Canon case, no tricky moves required.

Will get a chance to use the combo in the water in a weeks time, looking very forward to it.

Tips to those buying one

- spare generic batteries are available from $4-18 on ebay. Actual canon batteries ~$40 or more.

- Memory card not included with camera. The SDHC cards - you require a class 6 or better for HD recording. No name brands are available on the web but if your in Australia you can actually get them cheaper (I buy via the net from Hong Kong generally) at Harvey Norman 8GB SDHC Fujifilm class 6 card, $37.95, 4GB Fujifilm. class 6 $20. 8GB will get you 1600 10 megapixel shots. And from memory 50 minutes HD recorded footage. I shopped far and wide locally and this price was as good as the net and half most shops prices.

I bought my camera,waterproof case and spare battery from Hong Kong. I found the best price via Getprice.com they compare prices across the net. Camera $365 AUD (one place was cheaper but had a bizarre service charge and higher shipping which out weighed the discount), case $248 AUD, spare battery $18 AUD, 3 day DHL international delivery (full tracking) $65 AUD. Total cost $702 AUD (note AUD = USD ATM) Which is WAY WAY cheaper than I could get it in Australia.

I hope this helps someone out there as I did lots of research and e-mailing to get my deal. If anyone want's to know who I bought from (I asked for and received small discounts) feel free to PM me. Always nice to know someone has had a good experience before you use a supplier!

Safe diving
Uberdude

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom