Canon S40 or what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lloyd_borrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
G'day,

I took up scuba diving in February and have almost finished my advanced open water course, with just over 20 dives done. So basically, I'm a newbie, very much still finding my way in the underwater world.

When I started I thought about underwater photography, but have been more focused on getting comfortable in the water, plus buying and learning how to use my diving gear. (Please see my web site for details.)

The other night I dived with a friend using his new underwater camera. I'm not sure if my diving skills are up to trying to taking underwater photos just yet, but I'm certainly very interested in giving it a go.

I have an old Canon PowerShot S40 digital camera with Canon Zoom Lens 3x 7.1-21.3 mm 1:2.8-4.9. Bought in the days when these things cost quite a bit. You could probably get a good digital SLR for the same sort of money today, and that's something I've been thinking about doing.

So just what is the right way forward for me?

What underwater housings are available for the Canon S40? My understanding is that the factory solution was the Canon WP-DC300 housing, but that it is now discontinued? Are there alternatives that are still available?

If there are housings available for the Canon S40, is it still worthwhile investing in a housing for this camera, or would I be better of getting a current model camera with underwater housing?

What are the limitations of the Canon S40 when compared to the current model cameras?

Which camera, housing and lighting combinations would you recommend were I to stay with the Canon S40?

Which camera, housing and lighting combinations would you recommend were I to switch to a similar size camera, or any other size camera?

Your views, comments, suggestions and/or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Best Regards, Lloyd Borrett.

If you want a low cost starter you can get the housing for your camera on Ebay for about sixty dollars. It would certainly be my recommendation until you are sure you know what you want to do.

Don't bother with lights and stuff yet. you can get remarkably good pictures with the internal flash, particularly if you dive in clear water. I had a lot of fun with my S50 and never got a strobe.

When you have got the bug you can then start forking out the big bucks...... One other thing I would recommend getting is the canon weight kit because it makes the camera a lot more comfortable to dive with if it is well trimmed.

One request. Until your trim is good enough that you are sure you can remain at the same depth WITHOUT having to actively think about it please stick to photographing something unbreakable like rocks..... Inexperienced divers with cameras can be remarkably destructive phenomena :viking:.

Have lots of fun with it.

Not getting much response here are you?

I forgot to address the limitations. I have upgraded from the S50 to the S80 primarily because of the significant improvement in focus speed. I hope to get less fish butts - assuming I ever get back in the water.....

That being said, you will get good shots and have fun with the S40 for a long time so I would not worry at this point.

One other thing. If your camera is getting on a bit I would replace the battery and get a spare as well. There are high power versions available now and that will definitely help you last the day.

Thanks, Graham.

I already have two batteries for my S40 camera, though they would now be 3-4 years old. I notice that everytime I go to use the camera (which isn't a lot) the batteries are flat and have to be recharged.

I think I will go with a housing for the S40 for now. Then if I get hooked on underwater photography, look at where to from there.

I keep thinking I should consider a digital SLR camera in due course, though mostly for out of the water applications.

Then again my film setup is an Olympus OM2 SLR with all of the bells and whistles, plus an Olympus XA2. And I rarely used the expensive SLR setup. Though it was useful when needed.

I can see that I might end up with a compact and SLR digital setup, maybe both with underwater housings, down the track.

Then again, video is something I haven't gotten into, so who knows.

Again, many thanks.

You should definitely get two new batteries. Don't get cheap knock-offs either. you will also need small silica jel packs. I put one each side of the camera and button it up at least an hour before I dive.

lloyd_borrett:
G'day,

I took up scuba diving in February and have almost finished my advanced open water course, with just over 20 dives done. So basically, I'm a newbie, very much still finding my way in the underwater world.

When I started I thought about underwater photography, but have been more focused on getting comfortable in the water, plus buying and learning how to use my diving gear. (Please see my web site for details.)

The other night I dived with a friend using his new underwater camera. I'm not sure if my diving skills are up to trying to taking underwater photos just yet, but I'm certainly very interested in giving it a go.

I have an old Canon PowerShot S40 digital camera with Canon Zoom Lens 3x 7.1-21.3 mm 1:2.8-4.9. Bought in the days when these things cost quite a bit. You could probably get a good digital SLR for the same sort of money today, and that's something I've been thinking about doing.

So just what is the right way forward for me?

What underwater housings are available for the Canon S40? My understanding is that the factory solution was the Canon WP-DC300 housing, but that it is now discontinued? Are there alternatives that are still available?

If there are housings available for the Canon S40, is it still worthwhile investing in a housing for this camera, or would I be better of getting a current model camera with underwater housing?

What are the limitations of the Canon S40 when compared to the current model cameras?

Which camera, housing and lighting combinations would you recommend were I to stay with the Canon S40?

Which camera, housing and lighting combinations would you recommend were I to switch to a similar size camera, or any other size camera?

Your views, comments, suggestions and/or recommendations would be most appreciated.

I started with an S30 and never looked back. If you can find a case for your camera on Ebay go for it. You are comfortable with it and know by now what all the buttons do above water. One less thing to worry about when composing that perfect picture is which button does what! LOL!
BTW if you have trouble finding a case drop me a note to my personal email.....I have one around here some place since it wouldn't fit my s50 or s60........Yep use Canon and love them.

Yup, go with what you have for now. It's a perfectly good system. Learn it. Learn what you like to shoot. Experiment - get big cards. Post some images for C&C if you wish. Shoot lots. Dive more.

Then...

spend, spend, spend, spend :D

Welcome to the money pit!

Back
Top Bottom