Canon S100 battery life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got a day of diving with ansmann 2850
looks unlikely on S95 the new cameras need 3.7 volts the older ones 2.4 this is due to the screen and amount of features
an s100 is still rated 200 shots (100'with flash 100 without) now that in normal use is just enough for two dives and you have to be careful on how you use but sadly that is it!

Thanks for all of the responses. I just wish canon would still make cameras that used AA batteries. I can get 4 to 6 dives with my A620! Why not use that body style but include the features of the s100? I think a lot of people would value battery life over a slightly smaller size, but maybe I'm in the minority.

And this battery life problem also applies to topside use. How frustrating is it to be on a trip and in the middle of a hike or something, the battery dies! Especially the way these rechargeable batteries don't hold a charge very long. Carrying around extra batteries and chargers on a trip is a huge hassle.

In terms of power settings underwater the following may help
  • Set the LCD to turn off after 10 seconds
  • decrease the LCD brightness
  • disable af assist light
  • Disable red eye lamp
  • set the flash to minimum in manual mode
  • lens retract 1 min in playback

For what concerns the auto power off it is true that the lens retract uses power however the auto shut down goes off 2 minutes after the display is off and you could accidentally hit a button and wake the LCD so I leave this setting on

Moving the lens either at power on or zooming, the LCD and flash are the biggest culprit of short battery time

And this battery life problem also applies to topside use. How frustrating is it to be on a trip and in the middle of a hike or something, the battery dies! Especially the way these rechargeable batteries don't hold a charge very long. Carrying around extra batteries and chargers on a trip is a huge hassle.

Hardly a hassle with the s90-100 batts and less irritating than missing out on a potential shot. If have batteries for anything I don't see why you would have at least a second one for backup. I carry three as often times the places I travel to don't have 24/7 electricity. Try lugging around the G series - although it has room for a bigger battery.

Hardly a hassle with the s90-100 batts and less irritating than missing out on a potential shot. If have batteries for anything I don't see why you would have at least a second one for backup. I carry three as often times the places I travel to don't have 24/7 electricity. Try lugging around the G series - although it has room for a bigger battery.

I'd prefer that the camera batteries last long enough that a backup isn't necessary! Like I mentioned, I've taken my A620 on a 4 tank boat trip one day and used it for 2 more dives the next day without changing the AA batteries at all! That is much more convenient. Although I use rechargeables whenever I can. if there is a problem you can usually by AA batteries anywhere in a pinch. Also, AA batteries will hold a charge while sitting on the shelf, unlike the camera proprietary rechargeables.

Overall, I would easily trade a small increase in size for 4 times the battery life. Every time you open a housing to change batteries - especially on a boat - there is the potential for problems. I don't understand the trend toward tinier cameras that require constant recharging.

As an ex A640 owner and currently a S95 owner I understand what you are saying about battery life. Notwithstanding the overwhelming superior performance of the S95 it would be great to be able to do at least 3 dives without needing to change the battery. I'm confident one day battery manufacturers will be able to pack the grunt of four 2300 mAh AA batteries into a NB-5L size battery. Here's hoping.

My old 570 was rated 400 shots and by then the strobe batteries would be depleted too
With the 200 rating for the s95 I believe shooting in manual with all power settings right you should get 200 with flash at minimum that would do for 3 dives assuming you don't play too much with zoom and viewing pictures
At the end you want to be sure that the battery will notU die during the dive and the best way is to use CHDK voltage display
you need to get into the water with more than 3.6 if you want to get 60+ shots otherwise change pack

Sorry, the underwater photo diver is not a big market for the camera makers. I get your points but guess what they aren't going to make it for you. I think a wireless charger and camera download connection would be more likely (charge the batt while still in the housing). I have an S90 and I really like it and try to carry it around always for whatever I might find. I keep the G11 for diving and topside macro. It is hard to beat the S90-100 for great photos in a light easy packing unit and I can put in my pocket without it tearing the pocket or feeling obtrusive. The hardest thing about having an extra battery is remembering where you put the little thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom