Canon Rebel SL1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just bought a Canon Rebel SL1 a week ago and ordered the Ikelite Housing for it, as well as an Ikelite DS51 strobe.
The housing and strobe are supposed to delivered Tuesday, St. Patty's Day.

We leave for Cozumel in 19 days - I hope to get into the LDS pool to play around with before the trip.

Any advice??????

This is my first DSLR camera. My previous camera was a Sea & Sea DX 1G.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!!

Congrats on the camera! You will love it. I used it for a few months and was very happy with it.
If you have any specific questions I'd love to help.
You can check out this article I wrote about shooting macro with the dome port, using the SL1: Shooting Macro Underwater with a Dome Port
Btw, I'm currently in Cozumel until about April 7th, and I have here the Tokina 10-17 and the Tamron 60mm which I used in the article above for sale, If you are interested.

Thank you! Actually I do have a question. I received my new toys today - housing & strobe so I was trying to test everything out - reading the manual as I was.
Problem I encountered - I secured the camera on the mounting tray and inserted the camera into the housing and closed it up.

I could not get several of the buttons to engage the camera - they were all pressed in all the way . I got the playback button & erase button to work, but none of the other keys would engage the camera. I pulled the camera out and reinserted it 4-5 times and tried it. No luck. I believe the camera is on the mounting tray correctly - I read the "troubleshooting" components in the manual . . .

Any Suggestions??????

Thank you,
Reid

I called Ikelite - I did something wrong. There is an eyepiece "eye cup" as they call it, on the camera that is supposed to be removed first, being inserting the camera in the housing.
It does not say this in the manual, but apparently there was supposed to be a flyer packed with it indicating to to so - mine did not include one.
So got it too work! :)

I also got the same setup as you did! Only mind DID include the "REMOVE EYECUP FIRST" paper.
Been pretty happy with it! Not too bulky, sturdy, easy to care for, etc.
I just got back from Fiji and got some pretty good shots with it.
Here's a sample - Canon Rebel EOS SL1, Ikelite housing, Ikelite DS-51 strobe.
IMG_4838.jpgIMG_5059.jpgIMG_1987.jpgIMG_1573.jpg

- Janna

Might be off topic but I am about to pull the trigger on a digital slr. This is one of the rigs on my short list. Will be using it for surface work at first to learn the camera. Then next season may go for a housing. How user friendly is it. I have a lot of 35 mm slr experience but digital has been point and shoot only.

It's not bad, but it's definitely a learning curve for me! One of the sacrifices you make with a small body is many of the physical controls available on a larger camera are missing and accessible via menu only. They make it easy with a touch screen, and you can hit the ground running pretty quickly (although obviously touch screen isn't available once it's enclosed in a housing). The housing comes with some recommended settings that I used to get started.
Here's what it looks like:
IMG_5989.jpgIMG_5990.jpg

Hope that helps!
- Janna

The Canon Rebel SL1 is fantastic and all I've used traveling in the Caribbean and Pacific since May 2014. Usable with tons of low cost and expensive lenses it's a bargain right now too.

YES, I'm an Ikelite dealer but have used this housing system for hundreds of dives. Ikelite's MIL port system has a dedicated small dome and extensions to even use the larger Ikelite 8"dome port for over / under shots with the popular Tokina 10-17mm fixed at 10mm. Plus extensions that can be paired with the compact flat port to use super sharp macro lenses (Canon 60mm and 100mm IS.)

The extensions can even be used with close up lenses or extension tubes on the Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS STM "kit" lens for a "poor man's macro" making this a system to grow with.

All in all a fantastic traveling SLR set up :)

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_9283.jpg
    IMG_9283.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom