Canon Powershot SD990 IS -Ikelite housing and Inon UFL-165AD fisheye lens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SNC, it's going to be downright embarrassing if we end up with the exact same camera kit again. LOL

Looking forward to info about the new adapter, though!

Here's a sample shot of the UFL-165 mounted to the SD990 housing using the new adapter. It will be product #9306.79 with a retail price in the $50 range. I expect we'll be able to start shipping the new adapters within the next two weeks.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems
sd990_ufl165new.jpg

Here's a sample shot of the UFL-165 mounted to the SD990 housing using the new adapter. It will be product #9306.79 with a retail price in the $50 range. I expect we'll be able to start shipping the new adapters within the next two weeks.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
sd990_ufl165new.jpg

If the above shot (sd990 with ufl165) and the below shot (sd990 with W20) were taken from the exact same distance:

sd990_w20.jpg

...then it looks like the the UFL165 has a very slight edge over the W20. Nothing worth losing sleep over, I'd think, they're fairly equal. Great news about the new adapter, that's MUCH better!

Interesting comparison of the W20 with the UFL-165 and how the images look so similar when taken on land. The conversion factors are supposed to be .56x for the W20 and .405x for the UFL-165 (under water), so the two lenses should perform quite differently. The W20 has a flat element at the front of the lens whereas the UFL-165 has a dome element. I think a proper comparison of the W20 and UFL-165 should should be done with images taken under water, because each of the lenses will perform quite differently after the effects of light refraction.

At least the sample image of the UFL-165 + newly designed Ikelite bayonet mount adapter + Ikelite housing shows no vignetting! What a huge difference! What makes this new adapter more effective/better? What were the design changes?

I'm very interested in now comparing the image quality between the Ikelite housing/adapter+UFL-165 lens versus the Canon housing/Inon adapter+UFL-165 lens under water......... :hm:

-Dana

The images I've posted are not intended to be direct comparisons between lenses, as they were not taken at the same time from exactly the same distance. These are just examples of the vignetting (or lack thereof) that can be expected.

The performance of a wide angle conversion lens is mainly affected by its distance from the camera's lens. Both the Ikelite and Canon housings for the SD990 have ports that are just long enough to accommodate the camera's entire zoom range. We've shortened up our original bayonet adapter to fit more closely on the new ULTRAcompact housings' ports. This new adapter moves the rear element of Inon lenses in to nearly touch the glass in the port, so it's about as good as we can get.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

Both the Ikelite and Canon housings for the SD990 have ports that are just long enough to accommodate the camera's entire zoom range. We've shortened up our original bayonet adapter to fit more closely on the new ULTRAcompact housings' ports. This new adapter moves the rear element of Inon lenses in to nearly touch the glass in the port, so it's about as good as we can get.

Thank you for the information, Jean. The new bayonet mount adapter for the ultracompact housing is GREAT news!

-Dana

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom