Canon Powershot S5 IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rawls

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Bought the Canon S5IS recently. I have read many reviews about this camera and all were very good. The salesman said that he would encourage me to go with something like the S5IS before investing in the increased complexity of a digital slr. So far I have been very, very happy with it.
As usual, however, I am interested in input from some of you who have alot of experience with photography and/or have some knowledge of the S5 IS capability underwater in particular. Didn't buy it specifically for underwater but wanted to use it when I did. I found one housing that will fit it...Ikelite model 6140.05...about $700...which by the way is double what I paid for the camera:) Below are some photos of the camera and housing and one of my cat taken with it. Input greatly appreciated...Hopefully positive:) Thanks all....

DSCN1416.jpg

DSCN1415.jpg

DSCN1411.jpg

1147.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

Last edited:
The ikelite housing was very expensive because they have that TTL thingie (I think that's the technical term for it). I agree it's too pricey, that's why I didn't buy their G9 housing.

got the same camera and I think that Ikelite is the only housing made for it
wish canon would make one.....

Thanks all...

Aussie...No real question...Just looking for some input from those who have used the camera as to what they think about it and its U/W capabilities. I did not buy it specifically for U/W photography but did intend to use it for U/W if it was deemed to take good U/W photos. Seems there are not many who are impressed with its capability U/W. Unless I hear otherwise from alot other photogs, I won't be spending the $700 on the Ikelite. It's ok though...I take more photos above water. I have a Sealife D-600. It is so, so but does a good enough job for me. Thanks so much for your information...

The Ike housings are great for these cameras, buy far worth the investment. IMHO there's no point taking a nice camera like the G9 underwater if you're limiting yourself so much by putting it in a Canon housing. If you want decent photos, you're going to need at least one strobe anyway, and the fact that the Ike housing gives you access to the wheel on the back of the camera makes it a lot more user friendly.

The price on the Ike housings aren't so high thought because of the eTTL. From memory, when they went from non-eTTL to eTTL with the G6, it was only around a $100 price difference (correct me if I'm wrong though, it was a couple of years ago now).

Rawls, I have heard that the S5 is a lot better with macro that the S3 (whatever happened to the S4 by the way?), and that was always my gripe with that series. Either way though, you've got yourself a great topside camera there.

Ryan.

I've always been a fan of the S-series although the last one I owned was an S2 (which was my first u/w camera as well). Underwater they offer a nice variety of options and preform fairly well for ultimately being a big point & shoot camera. You don't get every manual setting like on a dSLR but you've got some nice options, image stablization, great zoom (more useful topside then underwater) and megapixel size and a fairly well priced camera that you can use just about anywhere.

Aussie Diver is right. You got a better housing which will open the doors down the road. If you just want to take some basic shots and get familiar with u/w photography, the canon housings work fine (that's what my canon's p&s goes in) and for some people, a lot better than just fine but they aren't available on the s5 that I know of. The housing you got offers options down the road as you add more to your rig and not have to buy a whole new housing to do it.

By the way, what did happen to the s4???.

Aussie Diver...

I have used it in Macro on land and the results are fantastic. It also has a supermacro mode but I haven't worked with it as of yet. The photo of my cat was not in macro. Now I do have a question...Are you saying that it would be worth getting the Ikelite housing...that the S5 will take pretty good photos? Will it take better photos than my D-600? My problem is spending $700 on a housing for a camera that will not do well underwater, but I will if it does do a "good" job. Again...Thanks very much for the input...

I've been shooting the S1 IS and the S3 IS with lots of pleasure! As said above it has enough manual settings to keep you going as a "starter" underwater photagrapher. I used this with an Ikelite housing and one Inon 240 strobe.

Recently I upgraded to the 40D in an Seatool housing, thus my Ikelite housing is for sale at the moment. Not sure if it will fit the S5 though.

I recently bought a second hand S3, Ikelite housing and W20 wideangle lens. Just learning to use it, but I think I like it a lot. Some examples of my first shots with this combo:

217pm.jpg

208pm.jpg

176pm3.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom