Canon PowerShot D10?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please do post your review and some pictures - anxious to see how this compares to the olympus tough series!

Hrm, just noticed Ikelite has announced they will NOT be making a housing for this - and does not look like Canon has one available either - so this would be limited to the 1 atmosphere under..

Looks like olympus still has the market on this class..

Will try to post some pics soon. I am only using the camera for snorkeling but my spouse hopes to use it diving in a local spring that is only 30 feet deep. The camera specs say it's good to 33 feet.

Yea, it could be nice for snorkeling or very shallow reef diving - but as a general diving camera I think it will fall a bit short by not having a housing allowing for greater depth. Would be interesting to see how the quality is - as it probably won't be the last in this line from cannon.

Has anyone used the Canon WP-DC28 u/w housing> If so, thoughts??

Please do post your review and some pictures - anxious to see how this compares to the olympus tough series!

OK just back from Fiji and the D10 was awesome! It takes great pics above and below the water. I'll try and attach a few shots here.

The pics where I tried to dive down and shoot though mainly were blurry but that was probably due more to operator error and me not being able to hold the camera still enough I think.

I dropped the camera a few times while there and it seemed to take a licking well, although the exterior does scratch easily.

I will agree with what I read somewhere about the video zooming not being that great of quality. I just left it on normal and did not zoom during videos and that worked best.

A couple of people at the same resort had the Tough series point and shoots and I was glad that I had the D10 because the body style, although some consider goofy, is much more conducive to holding in the water. Those Toughs were very skinny and would be hard to hold in surge that we had while snorkeling.

I highly recommend the D10 for snorkeling or shallow free diving. So far it seems really great! No problems at all.

Attachments

• Coral.jpg
    Coral.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Fish2.JPG
    Fish2.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 76
  • SpotFish.JPG
    SpotFish.JPG
    284.5 KB · Views: 69
  • XmasTrees.JPG
    XmasTrees.JPG
    385.5 KB · Views: 70
I took the Powershot D10 snorkeling when visiting Pulau Perhentian Besar last month. It would have been nice to be able to take it on some of my dives (none were shallow enough), but it was handy while snorkeling. Sadly, I used the "underwater" mode rather than tweaking settings manually, and it shows in the pics I got, but they're not tooooo bad (especially given I'd only used it underwater once before).

I do notice that photos shot at the surface sometimes tend to be softer than those taken with previous Canon point-and-shoots I've used. I think this is more likely user error on my part than any defect of the camera's. I have yet to fully RTFM. :)

Samples attached...

Attachments

• IMG_2160.jpg
    IMG_2160.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2139.jpg
    IMG_2139.jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2156.jpg
    IMG_2156.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_2157.jpg
    IMG_2157.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2220.jpg
    IMG_2220.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_2298.jpg
    IMG_2298.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 86
I took the Canon D10 on a liveaboard trip on the Turks and Caicos Explorer II a couple of weeks ago. The reefs of most of the divesites we stopped at were deeper than the 33-foot rating of the D10, though I suspect it could handle 45 or so. Anyway, one site, Thunderdome, was at about 35 feet and perfect for the D10.

The D10 did very well. The controls are simple and intuitive, it's easy to toggle flash and macro settings, and the camera locks on very quickly. Picture quality was very good and the flash strong enough to really bring out color even during the day.

This being Canon's first digital underwater camera, there are a few things I'd change. The zoom is 35-105mm equivalent. For underwater I much prefer a zoom that starts wide. It's also not one of those folding zooms, so there is a big zoom barrel bulge that blocks part of the flash in macro. The zoom buttons are backward, and the AF illuminator points way high in macro. The latch of the battery compartment door is not trust-inspiring, and actually was gummed up after a couple of ocean dives. Still, it's a Canon and the pics were almost as good as what I got from my G10 that we also had with.

If you want to read my full review of the Canon D10 with a bunch of pics, see here.

Back
Top Bottom