Canon Housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buoyant1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all...I'm still playing research, and while I'm still in the beginning stages of upgrading, would like to know if the Canon housings have become more adaptable to added lenses, or strobes? My old A80 housing didn't appear to be "upgradable", not that I was really looking to keep it as my "forever" camera, but it worked for my purposes.

I KNOW that the Ikelites are more appealing, and adaptable, but let's face it...they're pretty steep!

Hey all...I'm still playing research, and while I'm still in the beginning stages of upgrading, would like to know if the Canon housings have become more adaptable to added lenses, or strobes? !

The answer is no. N

Well, I'd say that some housings like the G7/9/10/11 do have options available for external lenses from Fantasea Line, as well as red filters, etc. There is a 67mm adapter as well.

All of the housings will work fine with a fiber optic sync cord attached to a wide range of strobes; Fantasea, UltraMax, Sea & Sea, Inon, etc. All can be mounted on a wide range of trays and arms.

Look around on my site for some ideas.

Jack

Hey all...I'm still playing research, and while I'm still in the beginning stages of upgrading, would like to know if the Canon housings have become more adaptable to added lenses, or strobes? My old A80 housing didn't appear to be "upgradable", not that I was really looking to keep it as my "forever" camera, but it worked for my purposes.

I KNOW that the Ikelites are more appealing, and adaptable, but let's face it...they're pretty steep!

Hi

I have a Canon G10, and when I wanted to take it underwater I made all the same questions.
I made my research and I bougth the Canon wpdc28 for it.

I'm very very happy.
The big differences, in my opinion, to the Ikelite are:

1 - Strobe TTL. You have to "conect" a fiber optic cable to the outside for triger the strobe
2 - Canon only garantee the safty till 40 meters, but for me it's completly enough...
3 - No way to put a FishEye (although there's a new BigEye)
4 - Money!!!

I have the housing + tray + 2 medium ball arms + Sea&Sea Strobe YsDX27 + fiber optic cable from sea&sea.

Its super practible and takes wounderfull pictures.
Macro is very nice (1cm) and the winde angle is ok.

There is a big debate around the new fantasea BigEye wich enance the water wideangle... I didn't bought it yet, but im considering to.

Im just talking about the housing, but my opinion about the Canon G10 is incredible positive...

I've only had one Canon housing (well, to be truthful, several Canon housings but all the same model) and with the addition of the Inon holder, it works just fine with the Inon strobe and Inon add-on wet lenses. I hope my next Canon housing (for the S90 or S100 (if I wait that long)) will accept the Inon holder too.

BTW, I bought the Ike housing for the S80 but once I held it I sent it back. I just didn't like the feel and the buttons were too difficult to use with dry gloves.

Last edited:
While I've strayed a few times over the years, my first housing was an Ike. When I finally decided to upgrade from point and shoot film to a more serious digital rig a few years ago, I went with a Canon G9 with the Ike. While it has a higher price tag, you get what you pay for. TTL is great. I’ve been using a single strobe, but I’m going to double down before my annual “Turkey-on-the-Beach” trip in November.

Hey there,
We just recently tested an "Air Lens" from Fisheye that attaches to the front of the new Canon G11 plastic housing from Canon. It works great, and changes the angle of view to nearly 100 degrees. We'll be posting photos taken with it soon, and will be showing the unit at DEMA.

So in short, if you do end up going with a plastic housing from Canon, there are some upgrade options out there to get a wider view.

Best,

Sterling

Hey there,
We just recently tested an "Air Lens" from Fisheye that attaches to the front of the new Canon G11 plastic housing from Canon. It works great, and changes the angle of view to nearly 100 degrees. We'll be posting photos taken with it soon, and will be showing the unit at DEMA.

So in short, if you do end up going with a plastic housing from Canon, there are some upgrade options out there to get a wider view.

Best,

Sterling

Well, some folks have not been having that result, if you look at some recent threads.

To the OP, I have found Canon housings moderately functional, rather flimsy, but acceptable for snap shots. The buttons tend to depress and jam below about 60 feet, the housing feels cheap and flimsy and more that that, they look toyish. Many of the Canon housings have the square snoz which makes mounting of anything other than duct taped on macro lenses problematic so that is a serious issue with me.

It appears that Ikelite with the S90 Canon may have a good combination, without more knowledge yet, that is only a good guess. It has a 67mm threaded round port, it appears the camera will function with wet lenses, it looks like a winner especially with the fast lens and low noise sensor. Ikelite housings are typical robust and sturdy and can be overhauled and repaired.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom