Canon housing with Ikelite Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Caloy!

Do you know of a nice spot near Manila where during low time you can wade among the tide pools and take pictures? It's nice to sometimes do without the scuba gear. I'm going to be there sometime in July. Hopefully it doesn't rain on me.

Thanks!
Gus

clgsamson:
yes, big improvement, no question about it.

ScubaMarc:
This would be true, if U were able to turn off the internal flash of the camera. But the flash is needed to set off the ds125 optical sensor. The fiber optic cable allows the user to fully block the internal flash and still fire the stobe.

The canon case has no hard wire to set of the strobe.

Ikelite told me that I have to get the "Manual Controller" as the fiber stuff is not compatible with the Canon housing. Their website explains the Manual Controller but I'm still really confused about what it is...heck I don't even know what the fiber stuff is?

Gussy:
Ikelite told me that I have to get the "Manual Controller" as the fiber stuff is not compatible with the Canon housing. Their website explains the Manual Controller but I'm still really confused about what it is...heck I don't even know what the fiber stuff is?

The manual controller does two things:
First, it acts as an interface between your camera and your strobe. This can be done two ways, by using a direct electrical connection via a sync cord, or, like in your case, by a built in slave sensor. The sensor “sees" the flash of your camera and then triggers your strobe.
Second: it lets you adjust the output of your strobe. The manual controller has 10 power setting.

Gussy:
Hey Caloy!

Do you know of a nice spot near Manila where during low time you can wade among the tide pools and take pictures? It's nice to sometimes do without the scuba gear. I'm going to be there sometime in July. Hopefully it doesn't rain on me.

Thanks!
Gus
Nearest I can think of (Beach) is in Batangas, 3 hours from Manila. Give me a heads up and we'll go diving in Anilao...

I'm a big ikelie strobe proponent, but in this case, I think you would be better served with an Inon flash.

Your camera doesn't have a Manual or Aperture Priority Mode, which I consider to be necessary for using manual strobe control (like an Ikelite EV Controller).

Inon's S-TTL was designed for cameras like yours, and is most appropriate. It will allow complete automation of the external flash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom