Canon G9 Ikelite housing + DS51, how to attach and secure to the BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love all the pics on this thread! I recently upgraded from Ikelite to Patima housing, and i'm wondering how you guys prevent your right hand from getting cut on the latch. I usually don't wear a glove, and im hoping I dont need to. It would be a pain to have to buy a supply of plasters just to stick on before every dive. Thanks!

I dive in very warm waters in South Florida and always use the gloves. The gloves I use are made of fabric and not neoprene, and I have never felt as though the clip underneath my right hand has ever been an issue.

I know this thread hasn't had activity since last month. But, since I am in the market for a G9 housing, I would like to get some input from you guys.

I am going to be buying a housing for a G9 soon. I am wondering why you consider the Patima to be an upgrade from a Ikelite? I have an Ikelite for my current camera and I am trying to decide what to get for the G9. Since you have had both, what do you see as the pros and cons of the Ikelite and Patima?

I love all the pics on this thread! I recently upgraded from Ikelite to Patima housing, and i'm wondering how you guys prevent your right hand from getting cut on the latch. I usually don't wear a glove, and im hoping I dont need to. It would be a pain to have to buy a supply of plasters just to stick on before every dive. Thanks!

Just my few cents worth (I only have the Ikelite)...

Patima Plus: The Patima is rated for much greater depth (120m vs 60m!) and has a more robust metal case. IMO, the increased rating only really matters if you are considering tec diving.
It is certainly an upgrade for the 120m depth rating alone!

Ikelite Plus: The Ikelite is a lot less expensive, still has access to all G9 controls, and (because the body is clear) you can easily see if the O-ring is seated correctly.
I am going to be buying a housing for a G9 soon. I am wondering why you consider the Patima to be an upgrade from a Ikelite? I have an Ikelite for my current camera and I am trying to decide what to get for the G9. Since you have had both, what do you see as the pros and cons of the Ikelite and Patima?

... There is a photo of the Patima housing on this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/248598-what-housing-would-you-recommend-g9.html, or you can look at this more detailed pdf: http://www.digitaldiver.com.au/Patima_G9.pdf

Thanks for the input. I have the Ikelite for the camera I have now so I am used to it. I don't think depth will be an issue although I do like how rugged the Patima appears to be. But, I know if I do something bad enough to break the Ikelite housing...the camera probably won't survive anyways.

I like the looks of the Patima but I don't think the extra cost is worth it for me.

Just my few cents worth (I only have the Ikelite)...

Patima Plus: The Patima is rated for much greater depth (120m vs 60m!) and has a more robust metal case. IMO, the increased rating only really matters if you are considering tec diving.
It is certainly an upgrade for the 120m depth rating alone!

Ikelite Plus: The Ikelite is a lot less expensive, still has access to all G9 controls, and (because the body is clear) you can easily see if the O-ring is seated correctly.

... There is a photo of the Patima housing on this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/canon-corner/248598-what-housing-would-you-recommend-g9.html, or you can look at this more detailed pdf: http://www.digitaldiver.com.au/Patima_G9.pdf

Thanks for the input... I like the looks of the Patima but I don't think the extra cost is worth it for me.
No problem.

There will be those that say the 120m rating is worth the extra, even if you don't aim to ever dive that deep, the argument being that "it must be better at 30m than Ikelite", which may well be true.

But I have to agree with you that I do not feel the extra cost is justified in this case.

Back
Top Bottom