Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkdcol

Contributor
Reaction score
To the set the scene, I am a divemaster moonlighting as an underwater photographer, who needs something smaller to carry with me when guiding clients. My usual setup is a 7d in nauticam housing, though obviously this is totally impractical to carry with me on a daily basis. The best compact option seems to be the canon g7x. However, I am feeling quite a lot of sticker shock when seeing the prices for even a used g7x mark I. For the same price I can also get a new r100 or r50, which IMO seems to be much better value and only slightly bigger than the g7x.

The cons for the r100/r50 seem to be that only ikelite and nauticam have options and that the nauticam uses the n50 port (there is no n50 to other size adapter as far as I know). This means I'd be limited to a 3.5inch dome on the nauticam (not ideal for under/overs, but better than a wet lens on the g7x).

Does anybody have experience with both the g7x and r50/r100 and comment on how bulky they are underwater and if there is really much of a notable benefit in 1 system over the other? TIA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom