Canon G7X vs. Olympus TG-4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Old thread so there might not be a response from the OP.

Myself, I use a TG-4. The reasons is partly personal, I also have an E-500 kit (now with 1 of my kids) and an E-5 with semi-pro lenses. I also have an XZ-1 that I used for a Disney trip when not wanting to take my E-5 and this was before the TG-4. I like Olympus gear and the photos I can produce.

In addition, the TG-4 allows me to use it while snorkeling without a housing. This was important to me as I have 5 kids and not all trips or activities are diving, but can benefit from the 'tough' features. We also ski/snowboard and snowshoe, as well as some hiking/scrambling/zip lining/climbing etc. The tough camera with accessories (harness etc) helped in all of those scenarios. One other nice feature is that if there's a problem with my UW housing and it floods some, the camera is more likely to survive because it is waterproof itself. I also love the macro mode on it. If you have any interest at all in close-up shooting without going serious (lenses, bellows, etc) then this camera can do 1:1 and do other stupidly close up photography.

I have taken some time with an UW pro shooter uses in classes and recommends the Canon as a beginner/intro tool. She was very surprised and happy with the pictures I was making with the TG-4. Yes it doesn't have manual, and yes the sensor is not quite as big. But ultimately, for me, it was the right tool for the job right now. Later I may upgrade past it if I get more serious!

Good article too: Best Underwater Cameras of 2018: Compacts & Mirrorless Cameras - Underwater Photography - Backscatter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom