Canon G11 versus S90 battery life?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got two dives out of one battery this past weekend. One dive was about 80 min, the other was about 45, but I only used the camera for 30 min at best. In general, though, I make it a practice to swap batteries between dives every time. It's not that difficult to do... you'll need at least two batteries, of course, for two dives, and more dives either needs a power outlet to recharge and swap in and out of the charger, or as many batteries as dives.

Perhaps it's not needed with this camera, but it's a habit I got into with my last camera, whose older batteries would last one dive no problem but often conked out on dive 2, so I've stuck with the habit.

I may just try out that Wasabi battery, though... it would be good to know for certain that I can make it through 2 dives, even when I use the display 100% of the time (actually, auto power down is set to 5 min I think), use flash on 98% of my shots (although usually in manual mode so min flash output just to trigger external strobes), and tend to take ~100 shots per dive.

Nemrod, what's the third-party battery you recommended again? I think that was 1400-1500 mah, not the 1300 of the wasabi linked above.

I think I took a few shots this weekend with native macro instead of just my usual stacked Inon macro lenses. I'll try to verify, and once processed, I'll try to post them up. Usually, though, if I'm shooting macro it's rare for me to go native, unless the critter is unusually big... too big for the stacked lenses to fit in the frame.

I got two dives out of one battery this past weekend. One dive was about 80 min, the other was about 45, but I only used the camera for 30 min at best. In general, though, I make it a practice to swap batteries between dives every time. It's not that difficult to do... you'll need at least two batteries, of course, for two dives, and more dives either needs a power outlet to recharge and swap in and out of the charger, or as many batteries as dives.

Perhaps it's not needed with this camera, but it's a habit I got into with my last camera, whose older batteries would last one dive no problem but often conked out on dive 2, so I've stuck with the habit.

I may just try out that Wasabi battery, though... it would be good to know for certain that I can make it through 2 dives, even when I use the display 100% of the time (actually, auto power down is set to 5 min I think), use flash on 98% of my shots (although usually in manual mode so min flash output just to trigger external strobes), and tend to take ~100 shots per dive.

Nemrod, what's the third-party battery you recommended again? I think that was 1400-1500 mah, not the 1300 of the wasabi linked above.

I think I took a few shots this weekend with native macro instead of just my usual stacked Inon macro lenses. I'll try to verify, and once processed, I'll try to post them up. Usually, though, if I'm shooting macro it's rare for me to go native, unless the critter is unusually big... too big for the stacked lenses to fit in the frame.

I have the Wasabi and this one:

Amazon.com: Zeikos ZE-NB6L 1400mAh Lithium Battery Replaces Canon NB6L: Camera & Photo

They both appear to have roughly the same capacity..at least when I first got them... don't have a clue how long each will last, but both are better than the canon battery.

I really do not like openning the case between dives...way too many bad things can happen, unless the boat is big enough to have a dry, airconditioned area.

I usually do not take more than 50 images on a dive, and shooting every shot with flash (in auto), I can easily get a lot more than 100 shots on the battery (closer to 200 in my tests)... might be able to do three dives with it.

Compu, mine is a SterlingTek.com and I got it on Amazon. It states that it is 1.4ah and is made from Japanese premium cells, assembled in China (where else). My opinion of it thus far is that it does run longer than the Canon 1.0ah battery and actually seems to fit into the camera as well or better. I imagine the Wasabi might be a better battery, not sure I would fixate to much on 1.3 vs 1.4ah. But, I think the thing to do is to avoid cells made in China as they are less consistent than the Japanese cells (maybe).

I used to change film, I suppose I can change batteries but I am thinking given my pool tests that two dives are going to be fine but for the most flash intensive dives. Can somebody really shoot 200 well composed shots in two 40 minutes dives? If you are just counting on luck, sure you can push the button 200 times but to compose and set up for 200 shots, no.

I have experimented some with the sTTL mode on my Inon D2000 strobes with the S90. This has not been my preferred mode, I have always shot External Auto or Manual. But, this camera does great with the D2000 (assuming also S2000) in sTTL. The sTTL mode works wonderful in P and also in Av (with the magnet out). My concern was of course increased battery consumption. Thus far, I am only seeing a small reduction in battery life vs shooting the same mix of shots but using Av and External Auto mode with S90 flash set to manual and minimum power.

N

Interesting. I just found a "Kinamax" battery on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Kinamax BTR-NB6L-JWP 1300mAh NB-6L Replacement Battery for Canon - Premium Japanese Cells: Electronics

It has the identical printing (and 1300 mah rating, etc.) as the Wasabi battery recommended by PufferFish, but its $20 instead of $30, and the warranty is 3 years instead of 5 years. Only other difference is no Wasabi logo, label is otherwise identical.

Also interestingly, the Zeikos battery mentioned above (rated at 1400 mah, no warranty) has a user review mentioning the actual measured rating was only just under 1300 mah. It's only $14, though.

The SterlingTek batteries Nemrod has used are listing at only 1200 mah, only 1 year warranty, and $20. Not bad, but...

I'm thinking I should go for the Kinamax batteries. A smidge more than the Zeikos, but a 3-year warranty and just seems a little more trustworthy. Either way, I can almost buy two for the price of one OEM Canon battery, and both would hold more juice!

In fact I probably will buy two. I have two now... 4 batteries is about the perfect level, I found with my last camera. Lets you get through a full 4-dive day (possibly more with these nice, new high capacity batteries) without needing access to power. Most boats I dive from have power onboard, but there are one or two that don't, so on those relatively infrequent trips it's not to not have to worry about it. Also good for travel, of course.

Should I get a full two long dives (with lots of shooting) out of the high-cap batteries, I'll be in really good shape on dive vacations, too. (That reminds me, I need to pick up a second charger, too)

Interesting.

The SterlingTek batteries Nemrod has used are listing at only 1200 mah, only 1 year warranty, and $20. Not bad, but...

Keep looking, mine are definitely 1.4 ah and they are SterlingTek made with premium Japanese cells. I am not saying they are best, I imagine most of these come from the same box factory in China built by slave laborers who will be donating their organs in a few more years and then be in a "body" display the next, nonetheless they are 1400mah.

N

Keep looking, mine are definitely 1.4 ah and they are SterlingTek made with premium Japanese cells. I am not saying they are best, I imagine most of these come from the same box factory in China built by slave laborers who will be donating their organs in a few more years and then be in a "body" display the next, nonetheless they are 1400mah.

N

Changing print is a lot easier than changing the cells...my guess is there are only two makers of these.. and they are all around 1300 to 1400...

In fact I probably will buy two. I have two now... 4 batteries is about the perfect level, I found with my last camera. Lets you get through a full 4-dive day (possibly more with these nice, new high capacity batteries) without needing access to power. Most boats I dive from have power onboard, but there are one or two that don't, so on those relatively infrequent trips it's not to not have to worry about it. Also good for travel, of course.

Should I get a full two long dives (with lots of shooting) out of the high-cap batteries, I'll be in really good shape on dive vacations, too. (That reminds me, I need to pick up a second charger, too)

Thanks for the reminder on that. I often travel to places that only have electricity at night and I have a limited time to charge batteries for for various devices (focus light, dive lights and strobe) and even greater restriction on the number of outlets. If you travel to such places i would bring an outlet or short extention cord splitter.

I often had issues with some of the batteries for my G7 and I was never sure whether it was the camera or the battery as at times I was underwater with a freshly charged battery but the camera would indicate it needed changing. I would usually try turning the camera on and off again to get past the indicator. On land I would often try turning off-on or open and shut the battery door. I hope my new g11 is better. I haven't run into this with my s90 but then I haven't used it that intensely.

Thanks for the reminder on that. I often travel to places that only have electricity at night and I have a limited time to charge batteries for for various devices (focus light, dive lights and strobe) and even greater restriction on the number of outlets. If you travel to such places i would bring an outlet or short extention cord splitter.

I often had issues with some of the batteries for my G7 and I was never sure whether it was the camera or the battery as at times I was underwater with a freshly charged battery but the camera would indicate it needed changing. I would usually try turning the camera on and off again to get past the indicator. On land I would often try turning off-on or open and shut the battery door. I hope my new g11 is better. I haven't run into this with my s90 but then I haven't used it that intensely.

I always travel with a power strip. I find hotels in general, even fancy ones, let alone inexpensive ones in third world countries, never seem to have as many outlets as I would like even when it's just topside gear that needs charging. When I'm charging camera batteries (2 at once), a laptop, a cellphone, a charger for my strobe's AA's and my focus light's AAA's, and the charger for my canister light, more than the one available outlet (as often has been the case) is definitely needed!

As a bonus you only need one outlet converter to plug the whole strip in, and then as long as your electronics are good with the voltage and frequency of the foreign juice, it's all good. :)

I find the cheapo power strips weigh little and get the job done just fine... plus who cares if something happens to a $3 power strip?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom