Canon G11 or SX20IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want more options like a dslr, you can also add conversion lenses to the G11 giving it more options, like a wide angle lenses, macro len, and Teleconverter giving you more range.

The FIX G11 housing accepts macro but no wide angle wet lenses. It does have an excellent dry port ultra wide angle.

The Ikelite G11 case has an optional bubble corrector that produces about 70 degree FOV and also accepts some macro options.

The Patima G11 housing does seem to accept some wet lenses but wide angle, maybe yes?

The Canon G11 housing can accept some macro lenses but no wide angle lenses. Fantasea bubble lens?

The FIX S90 housing accepts virtually all wide angle/ultra wide angle 52/67 threaded, AD, 28AD, ST wet lenses as well as a variety of macro threaded and bayonet lenses.

The Ikelite S90 housing seems to work acceptably (reportedly) with some threaded wide angle and macro wet lenses.

The Canon S90 housing has macro options but no wide angle options. Fantasea bubble lens?

Since both of these cameras are new, especially the S90, some of this is still developing as we speak.

N

The glasses my be the issue with the VF on the G11. It may work for some, and not work for others. That is all.

With the conversion lenses I should have mention, is for topside shooting, took that for granted, my bad. Since the camera may be uses for top side more then UW. It give the G11 more ability with those lenses if the camera is not a dedicated dive camera.

They will most likely announce new models next month at PMA.

Last edited:
NOAA used cameras from Canon's SD series which used a somewhat new line of Ikelite housing designed for compact cameras. We used 4 of these and I was not impressed with either the cameras or the housings. The housings kept breaking/leaking and the cameras were really basic without any easily found manual functions..../QUOTE]

I've never used anything but Ikelite and I've haven't had a single problem. I'm on my forth housing in eight years .

Philly-Fair enough. I know some people who have used Ikelite for their dslr's without issue. I also know some outside of my work who have used Ikelite and been sorry. I imagine our experience was more an exception than the norm or else Ikelite probably wouldn't be in business. However, all of the defects we found were out of the factory, including a bad seal around a lever, a broken locking button, and an incorrect push-rod. All cameras were soaked in freshwater every night before opening and uploading then taken care of properly before going out the next day. I treated my camera similarly with no issues. I don't tend to trash brand-names, but I won't use Ikelite for my personal gear.

Both the G11 and the S90 are fantastic cameras. The bottom line is, you cannot go wrong with either. I have spent much time playing with the S90 and the Fix housing that past two weeks I just love it! The compact size is awesome. The use of the front wheel around the lens for exposure control, manual focus etc (user set) makes it VERY nice for making additional adjustments.

The S90 in the Fix housing is VERY close in size to the G11 camera without a housing...which means the S90 is quite compact, perfect for a BC, and even more perfect if you want a topside camera to fit in your pocket. The G11 is a great camera topside as well, but certainly not a pocket camera.

I now have the G11 after using the Nikon D300 for a while. G11 is wondeful for a small package and less weight than my D300 or D700 (used for land). I will say that for what i use the camera for now I should have given more serious consideration to the S90. Smaller package than the G11.

The S90 is definitely smaller...but it is one heck of a camera. I love the use of the front control ring around the lens for either manual focus or exposure control! That to me really makes the camera.

Thank you to everyone who provided such great insights. I've made my decision and will be purchasing the Cannon S90 and Ikelite housing. I'm excited and can't wait until it arrives. :)

Thank you to everyone who provided such great insights. I've made my decision and will be purchasing the Cannon S90 and Ikelite housing. I'm excited and can't wait until it arrives. :)

Congrats it is a very good camera. Enjoy :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom