Canon G10 Housing Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just to update the thread...I got my Ikelite G10 housing today. Haven't got it underwater yet but everything looks really good so far. So far I like what I see.

got my new G10 yesterday..wondering how much the Ikelite housing for it will cost (is the previously mentioned $100-$200 in USD?)

i'm a little worried about the cost, are there any cheaper but still usable alternatives to Ikelite?

Not sure where you came up with $100 - $200. The Ikelite site shows a list price of $650 USD Ikelite Underwater Housing for Canon G10 Camera

If price is an issue, Canon makes an underwater housing, WP-DC28 list price $240 USD. Digital Cameras - High-End, Advanced Digital Cameras - Performance and Style, Digital ELPH Cameras - Easy and Fun! A-Series Digital Cameras - E-Series Digital Cameras - Underwater Photo - Canon USA Consumer Products

Ppl from Ikelite...

I just received my new G10 and I'm waiting for the ikelite tests with wide lenses to define which UW-Case I shall buy.

Do you have any news about this?

Regards

JA

We still have been unable to find an external wide angle lens which adds enough angle of coverage to justify the additional expense. We will be offering a dome accessory that provides use of the camera's original angle of coverage at a reasonable price. We're stalled by inventory counting now, but look for information on this in mid-to-late January.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

The G10 camera under Ikelite housing with original flat port is 37mm (28x1.3)

If you change this port and put a short one in addition with 0.5x wide angle the result is arround 18mm.
This short port exist, this lenses 0.5x exist too :wink:

Do you really think it's not enought angle of coverage ?
What is enought for you ?
On wich other Ikelite housing and with wich wide angle did you have more angle coverage ?

A dome port is a really strange soluce, how the customers can add macro lenses or red filter under water ?
And this dome port can only provide 28mm no more, from 37 to 28mm, customer surely think this is not enought angle of coverage to justify the additional expense :no:

This is just our opinion of manufacturer, divers, photographe in contact every day with Ikelite customers, your customers ! :kiss2:

Last edited:
The G10 camera under Ikelite housing with original flat port is 37mm (28x1.3)

If you change this port and put a short one in addition with 0.5x wide angle the result is arround 18mm.
This short port exist, this lenses 0.5x exist too :wink:

Do you really think it's not enought angle of coverage ?
What is enought for you ?
On wich other Ikelite housing and with wich wide angle did you have more angle coverage ?

A dome port is a really strange soluce, how the customers can add macro lenses or red filter under water ?
And this dome port can only provide 28mm no more, from 37 to 28mm, customer surely think this is not enought angle of coverage to justify the additional expense :no:

This is just our opinion of manufacturer, divers, photographe in contact every day with Ikelite customers, your customers ! :kiss2:

I would like an answer to this post from Ikelite. What is wide angle ( more than 18mm and if so how much more)to you guys and can what is stated here be made possible with housings and ports already in Ikelite's inventory?

Also I have a Ikelite housing for a canon a640 how much advantage would I get if I added a wide angle lens to this housing? And can I get a flat port for this housing?

Again, I have no comment on Dyron products. This thread and forum are devoted to products that are manufactured and/or distributed by Ikelite.

Unfortunately none of the common lenses that we usually support (Ikelite, Inon, Epoque) can be made to work with the G10.

The #6140.64 housing for the Canon A640 comes standard with a flat port that accepts 67mm threaded wide angle lenses such as the Ikelite W20, Inon UWL-100 Type II, and Epoque DCL-20.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

It is really nice to see Ikelite staff committed to answering posts on this board. I assume if I choose to buy and Ikelite G10 housing now I don't risk incompatibility with ports that are released in the future correct.

Any future accessories released for the Canon G10 are intended to be backwards compatible with existing Ikelite housings for the G10.

(I'm sorry I've said this before but) I'll have some new information to post early next week.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

We're proud to announce the new WD-4 Wide Angle Conversion Dome for the Ikelite housing for the Canon G10. This accessory restores the G10's original 28mm angle of coverage underwater. Since it simply slides onto the front of the housing's original port, the WD-4 can be removed and replaced as desired during a dive.

Please see the following webpage for complete details:
WD-4 Wide Angle Dome for Canon G10

The WD-4 is available for pre-order now and should begin shipping late this month.

It's possible that we will eventually offer an additional internal wide angle lens option for the G10. Right now we're still in the process of looking for and evaluating lenses. I will keep you posted.

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom