Canon EOS550D (Rebel T2i) with Ikelite casing or Sony RX-100 with Nauticam casing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Progen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a Canon EOS550D which I got in 2010. Obviously the cheapest underwater housing for it is the Ikelite at close to USD1,400 (will be a hundred or two past that after factoring in shipping and the relevant port) so I was wondering whether I should go for the Sony RX-100 with a Nauticam casing which together will come up to the cost of the Ikelite housing for the Canon.

Assuming that I put some effort into my phototaking AND diving, will I get noticeably better photos with the DSLR with its kit 18.55mm lens or should I just go for the Sony and Nauticam combo?

Progen,

Any SLR with a much larger sensor will blow away detail ad resolution of a compact rig.

Even the lowly Canon 18-55mm EF-S IS lens wil produce great images. See below shot on Canon Rebel XT which was only 8 Megapixel but an APS-C size sensor.

You can also likely find a used housing for your Canon Rebel T2i needing to add a port and strobe to get you started.

Since you already own the SLR I'd say that's your better choice.

David Haas
www.haasimages.com

Attachments

• IMG_8484.jpg
    IMG_8484.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8519.jpg
    IMG_8519.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 59
I've heard great things about Ikelite's compact housings, and not-so-great things about their ported housings. Ask some folks that have used the ported housings.

I guess I'll go with the Sony RX-100 with an Ikelite housing for now. Where I am, the average salary is about USD300 - 400 and although I'm lucky enough to be above that by quite a bit, it's still a heavy investment to get even the Ikelite casing and the relevant port for my humble EOS550D.

Progen - I used an ikelite for my Olympus E330 for over 300 dives and switched ports between flat and dome frequently and never had a problem. I cleaned the O-rings every time and used the same ones that came with the housing and ports without ever having a problem. I just got an ikelite for my Canon T3i and having a small issue with one button that does not want to stay down when I push and twist to keep the aperture button depressed but otherwise it works nicely. HTH - Nick

Thanks, Nick. If I keep the EOS550D, I might get an underwater casing for it one day but right now, my finances are a bit stretched towards the different PADI courses and a decent underwater camera / housing which won't cost a few months pay. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom