Canon Decisions, decisions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay....seems Canon offers a few choices and I'm a bit overwhelmed by them. My choices are: A70, A75, A85, or A95. With their respective u/w housings they are all closely priced from $340 to $410.

Megapixels is not as big a feature for me as is ease of use/simplicity. I'm a relatively new diver and more interested in "snapshots" than "underwater photographer". Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Are these compatible with external strobes? Thinking of Sealife or Bonica digitals.

Any of those cameras will do what you want them to do.

If it's a matter of $50 or so, for ME, I would go with the A95 - just because in this instance the added MP will give me a little more room to work with after the fact.

BUT, I still use my A75 :wink:

These are great cameras - my divers who use them for the first time almost always bring back nice snaps after just a quick introduction. As with any camera you need to learn to use it on land in the housing and then remember the basics when you get underwater.

yes, you can add lenses and strobes to these cameras.

HTH

Also of note, for the topside experience... the A95 (and discontinued A80) feature a fold-out screen, that allows you to frame your shot, with the camera directly above your head, or do the nice arms-length self portraits. I find it very handy (with my A80).

orangelion03:
Okay....seems Canon offers a few choices and I'm a bit overwhelmed by them. My choices are: A70, A75, A85, or A95. With their respective u/w housings they are all closely priced from $340 to $410.

Megapixels is not as big a feature for me as is ease of use/simplicity. I'm a relatively new diver and more interested in "snapshots" than "underwater photographer". Any suggestions/comments welcome.

Are these compatible with external strobes? Thinking of Sealife or Bonica digitals.

Why not check out the Canon S1? It takes some great pictures both above and below, has an easy to use underwater housing, and isn't too expensive. Here's a link to some Belize pics I took a few months ago. Only the internal strobe was used.

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/36473

Ken :42:

Orangelion!!
My personal suggestion is the A95. Sorry Yakivet, my dad has the S1 and I really don't like the fact that the diffuser (or lack there off) is placed so far back... The A80 (Which I have) has the diffuser out front (I might also add there you can remove the closeup diffuser). IT makes for no shadows on closeups. Anyway, there are my two cents. If you can find a used A80 since they are now outdate, maybe that would save you a few bucks! I love mine, check my gallery if you want...Enjoy and good luck!!!

Dr. Lust! Are you coming out to the Islands???? :)

Chad_Ordelheide:
Dr. Lust! Are you coming out to the Islands???? :)

Havn't decided yet. We'll definately be diving somewhere warm in either November or Jan/Feb. You're on the "short" list. I'll be sure to keep you informed, even if you don't like my camera :wink: Ken :42:

From the comments here and elsewhere on the forum, I decided on the A95/DC50 combo. Found the camera at MP.com for $235 plus shipping (new with US warranty) and the case at Upgrade Source for $166 with shipping.

I also went to the Canon Japan site with u/w photo tips that was linked on a post here...very informative.

So now I have two decent digital cameras...I also have a Nikon 5700 with a bunch of accesories. At least they share CF cards! =)

I just wanted to add that "Dr. Lust" is quite possibly the coolest medical title I've ever heard. I would honestly visit you on name alone, unlike my step-father's proctologist... Dr. Pain

I now return you to regularly scheduled topic...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom