Canon D30? Or something else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl1321

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Our Pentax WG-3 died this morning, and I have 2 weeks to get a camera :(
That camera was only ever taken on shallow dives, only having a depth rating of 45 feet; but it worked pretty well.
Since it only lasted 13 months (just over the 12 month warranty!) we don't want another.

I've been looking at the Canon D20, for snorkeling, because it has great reviews, but it is only rated to 33 feet, making it useless for diving. I see the Canon D30 is rated to 80 feet- which is further than my max depth (I draw the imaginary line at 75). It doesn't shoot raw though (something we really disliked about the Pentax too). I'm wondering if that 80 ft is misleading due to the flash situation though: assuming crystal clear carribean waters, what is the depth where you can really get pictures without having strobes?

Does anyone recommend the D30- or is there an inexpensive "starter camera" that would be better for taking diving. $350 is pretty much my max price right now, having just spent a few thousand on a new above ground DSLR :( Yes, I know these will be "we were there" style snapshots, and not real photography.
I am so mad the UW camera died.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom