Canon A95 or Sony DSC-T3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lundysd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have a quick question for all the gurus out there; I've been a land photographer for some time and shoot with a F100 (soon to be D70s), but I don't want to spend the money (or lug the bulk around) for an Ikelite housing for this just yet. Instead, I'd rather buy a beginner digital rig that is compact and reliable, and these two cameras at the moment are my options. I haven't found much discussion on the T3 since it's a little bit more expensive, but I've heard great things about it abovewater, and it certainly is more compact than the Canon. The total cost for the package will be roughly $500 (within $100 depending on where I pick it up from). Any thoughts or experiences with the housing in particular?

Scott

Hmmmm, I like Canons. I've only dove with two people that had sony rigs. They had a much harder time getting the settings right. Anyway, check out the Canon Corner for reason why to buy a canon. I don't even thing there is a Sony forum....does that mean anything:) Anyway, if you want to see what a A80 without a strobe can do feel free to look at my gallery. Lots of other good Canon galleries out there too. Good luck!!

Chad

Scott long time Sony user. It really depends on where your priorities are. The Canon will do better underwater than the Sony. A few reasons, more manual controls on the Canon, better white balance UW (the Sonys shift green) and a more powerful flash. Out of the water I like the Sonys for their size and convience, the picture quality is pretty close, and I find the Sony small enough to always have it available. You can look in my galleries or web page for many examples with a Sony DSC-P5 internal flash only.

I use the T1, which is just an older model of the T3, to toy around underwater. Don't expect too much for such a small camera. The pictures do have a green push to them but I got a script to remove the push in photoshop. If you want to see samples taken with the T1, you can click here. All of these have been modified with the script to get rid of the push but no further enhancements.

PS. The T1 has no manual WB and the flash if weak.

Back
Top Bottom