Canon A620 or Sony DSC W7? HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DesertEagle:
I have my doubts to how many digicam users actually use RAW underwater.

Regardless of who may or may not use RAW UW, that does not make it less worth while. As someone who has done post processing on UW images both in RAW, and JPG, I can say that RAW is MUCH easier, and offers MUCH more control in about every aspect. If you don't want to take my word in this, then I can say that when I did a Digital session with UW pro Stephen Frink, RAW was the number ONE suggestion, and topic he discussed when setup to shoot digital UW.

I can produce a good image from a RAW capture in a couple minutes. JPG often takes 10+ minutes to get a similar end result, and generally the end result is not nearly as good without even more work. I have some JPG images that I only can WISH I had done in RAW as is it VERY difficult to fine tune the WB, tint and other factors that the CS Raw tool makes easy.

RAW assumes that one has good RAW editing tools. For example OLY offers RAW support on a number of cameras, however the software supplied with the OLY PnS camera's is almost pointless. I think their DSLR bundled software addressed this issue, but not 100% sure.

Some disagree with RAW, but really the Only reason not to shoot RAW is due to file size, and speed. Neither of these things are really factors in my shooting, as my focus with the PnS is the most frustrating factor :D

Back
Top Bottom