Canon A620 or Olymus SP-310?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sioux,

I also have the Canon A620 - a great, versatile little camera topside, I just got the Canon WP-DC90 underwater case for an upcoming dive trip. Haven't used it yet, this will be my first foray into underwater photos.

I thought the only flash option was the built-in flash, but obviously I've missed something.

Do you know what (reasonable) options there are for an underwater external strobe for the A620? If I could find something that wasn't terribly expensive or bulky, I'd consider adding it (I like the fact that the camera + case combination is fairly compact - makes it easier to travel with).

Any recommendations? Thanks!

BTW, great pictures!

Also, if you've used it, could you tell me how the video quality on it is?
PM your e-mail address and I'll send you a short clip my buddy shot last summer with the A620. It's in the Bahamas in daylight.

nwflyboy:
I thought the only flash option was the built-in flash, but obviously I've missed something.

Do you know what (reasonable) options there are for an underwater external strobe for the A620?
One option is the Sealife SL960D. The "D" model is for non-Sealife cameras. They retail around $250. Leisurepro sells them.

It comes with a fiber optic sensor that you mount externally in front of your camera's internal flash so it's triggered by it. Most people also block off almost all the light output from the internal flash to reduce backscatter. (electrical tape on the inside of the housing works well for this) Since there's no hotshoe on the A-series cameras, a fiber optic trigger is the only option available, even if you were to upgrade to an Ikelite case.

Back
Top Bottom