Canon A570 IS Help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just so you can see a Sekonic Marine light meter rigged on homemade arm attached to Inon handle assembly on a Canon DC-12 and 570IS. The meter is used to augment or supplant the camera's light meter for use in the Tv/Av mode and in full manual and as well I use it to second guess the auto exposure program for both the camera and or the strobe as I see fit. One meter is attached, buisness end is visible and the other is an extra showing the readout and indicator needle. Simple and effective.

DSCF0156.jpg

I can meter the cave wall for example or other objects independent of the camera. The Sekonic shown is the direct reading type (direct-- reflected light from subject), they also made an incident (indirect--light falling on scene) reading type.

IMG_0216.jpg

Sekonic meter:

HydroFlex: Underwater Communications

N

Last edited:
OK, I apologize in advance if this doesn't work (first time posting images) but here goes. Installing the hack is VERY easy. You just download a few files onto your SD card and the camera will start recording everything in JPEG and CRW format. Picasa can read the CRW format and allows you to adjust three different ranges of light plus the white ballance by sliding a few bars back and forth. Here's an example. The first photo is the original JPEG. The second photo is a JPEG version of the original CRW file (no adjustments whatsoever). The third photo is a JPEG version of the CRW file which I cropped, made "warmer", and increased the shadows and highlights. Editing this photo took less than 15 seconds. I think the final version is MUCH better than the original. If it's too saturated for your tastes, you can very easily tone that down by not cranking the adjustments as far as I did.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help answer.

Original JPEG
IMG_05051.jpg

Original CRW converted to JPEG (no adjustments)
CRW_0505.jpg

Cropped and edited CRW converted to JPEG
0505.jpg

Edit: FINALLY! Got the embedding to work!

Wow that is really awesome! In about 2 months I am going to pm you and see how I would go about converting the images to different formats.

Sorry I havent been on in a while guys. I moved to Washingon DC for the summer because I got an internship working for the FDA so ive been working, site seeing, and just keeping busy. I do not come home until August 9th so all of your wonderful advice is great! However, I cant play with my camera considering I wont be next to an ocean for a few months and I dont have my camera with me. Thank you guys for your help!! And just to clarify, some of you were saying that I wanted to know why my pictures are not as good as yours. Obviously I know its the artist and there are several techniques, angles, lighting, editing, etc in order to achieve a great photo. I know I cant just take the picture and its going to come out perfect. There is much to be learned and reviewed. Thats what im trying to figure out how I should go about doing this. Thanks again!

Very nice... I've just bought the A570 and have not yet used it. I will next week as I'm heading to the Keys... I hope I can figure this method out before I go.

Dear all,

I’m a newbie in u/w photography, although for the last two years I have been struggling with my S&S MX10 and YS 40A. The setup finally ended back in States for service/repair. Taking into account your comments and photos, I decided to join Canon community: Canon A570IS with WPDC12 and 2 Gb memory card for US$ 500. Here in Serbia that’s extra deal. Hope I will be able to post some images soon. Please advice if there are some links/tips regarding maintenance (O rings, grease, batteries), and techniques for the a/m setup which could be helpful.

Best regards

The Canon is a great starter UW Camera, and your results can be very easily improved with a few techniques. My good friend has exactly that model, and I use the Fuji F30 - both very similar in use for UW. Please see my site for lots of detailed advice on how and WHY to use different setups. I guarantee that your photography will be dramatically improved next time around.

Back
Top Bottom