Canon 7d Under the Ice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the comments!

MaxBottomtime, yes those are ULCS arms used as tripod legs and because of the rough bottom composition I chose to use 12" arms. They don't support the rigs weight on land but are fine underwater.

Lowvis, the rig is quite stable in the water and the wide lens make it easier to achieve a steady shot as well. Some sequences were touched up in FCP Studio with a bit of SmoothCam filter - in some cases a bit too much because it caused a bit of jelloing. The 'duck-dive' sequence was easy, however as I had my head pinned against the ice for an extra point of stability with my arms outstretched and the camera right in David's face, as he descended I just let my arms drop to follow him.

Thanks again for the feedback.

I dove off that point in august. We were supposed to go out into the bay, but it was rough even the chichimon was canceled.
Hi Hashime,

August is a nice time to dive Tobermory as it is warm enough to be dived without a drysuit. Some of the sites can get very busy in the summer, however, and a lot of training dives take place that can lead to a lot of silting on the shore-accessible sites. From a photographic standpoint, the cold waters before ice-up and the same just at ice-out are my favourite times and the visibility can be spectacular.

Maybe we'll see you up there!

Alan

Can anyone tell me when it would be comfortable to dive Tobermory in a 7mm with hoodie? Will I have to wait until June??? Or will there be dives earlier?

Sorry for the hijack but that question all depends on your tolerance for the cold Fernie. I was comfortable diving 45° water (and colder - coldest was shorter but it was 34°) years ago wearing a 2pc 7mm suit. Start a new thread here in the Ontario section asking for temperature updates as people dive and you will know when you can dive. I would think that you could be diving in mid-late May depending on your own cold tolerance.

FYI the last time I dove in Toby in early June the water was 45°.......

Back
Top Bottom