Canon 5d Mark III - help select lens for full body underwater shots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I need some direction in selecting the right underwater gear and lens for the following project of my friend.

I want to make fashion photographs underwater. I am looking to make full body shots. I plan will take pictures in very clear water: pool or hopefully very clean (tropical) water at shallow depths of 0 - 10ft.

I will use Canon 5d mark 3 and was thinking to by Ikelite housing. The problem is that I don't know what lens is going to work best for my task, so not sure how to select dome/port, etc. I am thinking to get a prime for best sharpness.

I was told that 28mm is probably the good focal lenght. But I also heard that wider angle 24mm or 20mm may be even better.
Also I am lost if I need 8" dome port 5510.45? or regular port?

I am also confused if and how dome optics changes the apparent "wide-angledness" of the lens. I know that focus point gets shifted closer to lens. But I am wondering, if in the end the picture taken on land with 28mm lens will look the same as a picture taken underwater withe the same lens and 8" dome.

Sorry for very amateur questions.

Could you please share your insight and recommendations for my project.

Thank you!

I shoot the 7D so that changes things a bit, but I use a 10-17mm, which in your case would be a 16-35 or a 17-40 (or a non-L equivalent). I didn't check the dome port model, but you need the DOME port and not the flat port, since Wide Angle lenses wouldn't work with the flat port (you'd get part of the port in the shot).

I shoot animals but big, human-size animals at any reasonable distance requires very wide lenses. And by reasonable I mean a meter or two (6ft). Any more than that and light becomes an issue, even in clear water.

Good luck!

Tokina 10-17+Ikelite housing with Underwater Camera Stuff 5 inch dome or Zen Dome

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom