Canon 590is

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When people say "wide angle" they often have different expectations. For actual wide angle advice on SB, Nem and Adrian are the two guys here that I know are shooting true WA.

FWIW, when I go to Sea & Sea for the specs on the DX 1200 HD, they say the focal length of the camera is an actual 7.3 mm to 21.9 mm which they say converts to a 35 mm equivalent of 35 mm to 102 mm, and their WA lens translates to 19 mm (35 mm equiv.) but that's only 79o (and 95o on land) which isn't really WA at all. Not like the underwater WA shots you may have seen online or in coffee table books, etc.

Not trying to nitpick, because 79o may be fine for what you had in mind, but its not terribly wide by underwater standards (but the manufacturers won't tell you that). At least with the 590is and Ikelite housing, you could buy the Inon WA lens that would allow you to add the true WA dome for something like 131.6o underwater. Sea & Sea's WA lens, like most others, is a one-trick pony that you can't add a dome lens to.

If true WA is the goal, you'd be better served to look at the Inon combination (above) or maybe their Fisheye WA lens for the Inon AD bayonet mount, and then "back into" a housing and camera that would fit the lenses. The lenses are going to be the lion's share of the cost anyway, so it actually makes sense to start that direction from a compatibility perspective. Everything else tends to box you into a system that may not be as expandable as you might like it to be later.

HTH

Thank you, yes, I am shooting ultra wide with my P&S. Now, we are certainly not the only ones especially if you include the dSLR folks but then their cameras have a foot print about four times that of mine, I am sitting in the airport now, my laptop resting on my camera case in my lap is nearly covering it, it is very compact underwater and in transit packed away. A lot of bang for the buck and size/weight.

N

John and Nemrod, thank you for the advice. Honestly I'm trying to compensate for the fact that my own setup sucks for wide angle. (Got a G10+canon housing.) So when my bf told me he wants a camera for himself, I knew I should get him something that'll be better than the G10 for the WA shots that I want. I don't know how the 1200HD's video quality compares to my G10's as I still haven't found enough sample videos online. Seems to me that the HD feature is the only advantage it has over the A590 setup. "True wide angle" is the primary need here though, so thanks again for the why-the-1200hd-is-a-crock-for-WA lesson. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom