Cannot Remain Submerged for 50' Breath Hold Swim

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I talked with my instructor Rob and he said I could use a weight belt... :)

• Freediving weight belt is low drag....
  • Practice breathing up , slowing your heart rate, and holding your breath while walking. Get used to the CO2 Feeling.
  • Keep your heart rate slow....if you have a heart rate monitor for jogging or cycling, use it for bio-feedback in the days prior to the event.
  • breast stroke and frog kick should be able to hold you at the depth you want, and keep a slow but efficient speed...it is NOT a race...
  • Be slick in the water like an olympic swimmer or a dolphin....do not wear high drag clothes....if you are a hairy animal, you might shave it all off :) Swimmers do!! Cyclists do.
  • be flat horizontal in the water--do NOT push a bow wave with body at an angle.

Completed the 50' submerged swim on the first try with no issues. I used a weight belt with two 2lb weights on it (total 4lbs) and I did the three rapid exhales to clear myself of CO2. I have decided to incorporate this swim in my routine exercise swim program. The more practice I have the easier this simple exercise should get. Rob, my instructor, mentioned that he brings into his shop a couple times a year a free diving instructor (not a whole lot of deamnd for one in Colorado :) ) so if the opportunity arrises I will take their course.

BTW - I am a very hairy person poudly of Italian descent but I will not do a full body shave, just hold my breath longer. :D

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

~Oldbear~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom