Cannister light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrasmak

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well im trying to keep my setup as DIR as possible but here is the thing. I'm looking into picking up a cannister light . If im right it should mount on the rt side of my waist strap . Here is the problem , i have the Halcyon ACB there. If i had a larger waist it would probably be pretty easy but right now i hardly have any room. Can i just run the ACB on one side and the canister on the other. Its part of my weight right , kinda makes since to do it that way.

heyo... i thouht a canister light could be inserted first, and then the pocket
is attached?

or are you talking about distributing the weight? for example, one ACB pouch
on the left, and the canister by itself on the right?

i don't think the ACB on the left would interfere with the hip D-ring, right?

anyway, not a DIR authority, just some thoughts =)

Well there have been debates on whether or not the ACB is considered DIR or not. I just mention this because you say you want to keep you rig as DIR as possible.

I don't see how you could use only the left ACB and keep balanced weight from left to right. The canister is a fixed weight underwater, are you always going to keep that same weight in the left ACB?

Talk to C and Gary over ther they have set up the can light and the ACB pockets together.

Andy the left ACB has its own D ring.

this is just me but why not ditch the acbs altogether if its a viable option for you? there are many other places to distribute your weight. just my .02

ACBs are like pulling a plow!

MarcG:
Well there have been debates on whether or not the ACB is considered DIR or not.

Spoon:
this is just me but why not ditch the acbs altogether if its a viable option for you? there are many other places to distribute your weight. just my .02

Agreed. If you're diving single tank, go with a weighted STA and/or cam strap weight pockets. If you're diving doubles a V-weight should do the trick nicely.

terrasmak:
Can i just run the ACB on one side and the canister on the other. Its part of my weight right , kinda makes since to do it that way.

I suspect this may work for you.

I've got a larger "Explorer" type can light (about half the size of a duraflame log). When I originally attached it to the webbing, I found my trim blown to heck - I was "listing" to the right; and would, if I did not take any corrective action, rotate to the right until the can light was facing the bottom and my left d-Ring faced the surface.

I added a 3-pound weight to the left side of the webbing, and my trim corrected itself. Now I experience very little axial rotation when drifting. This is similiar to what you'll end up with if you use one ABS pocket.

I don't know how "DIR" this is, but I have found it to be an effective solution to the problem, and the weight is not interfering with my ability to access the left D-Ring, so I believe it is a harmless deviation.

Ryan

Talk to Ken (Mo2vation.) I believe he has a bungee rigged onto his ACB to hold the cannister on. I'd do a search but I am typing on my work laptop and don't have the bandwidth right now.

terrasmak:
Well im trying to keep my setup as DIR as possible but here is the thing. I'm looking into picking up a cannister light . If im right it should mount on the rt side of my waist strap . Here is the problem , i have the Halcyon ACB there. If i had a larger waist it would probably be pretty easy but right now i hardly have any room. Can i just run the ACB on one side and the canister on the other. Its part of my weight right , kinda makes since to do it that way.

ACB = Not DIR.

Also, for the guy additing weight to offset a can light this is not DIR either. We dove with these things for years. Improve your diving skills, don't add unneaded crutches. When I switched to a Helios not having the weight there felt weird for quite some time.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom