Cannister light mounting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll go against the grain here and say that you are entirely too conscious about being 'DIR' if you are that worried about if your light cord should be inside or outside of the light switch. I personally like the cord against the body, but I don't pay that much attention to it when I'm assembling my light.

I'll go against the grain here and say that you are entirely too conscious about being 'DIR' if you are that worried about if your light cord should be inside or outside of the light switch. I personally like the cord against the body, but I don't pay that much attention to it when I'm assembling my light.

That's why I posted the GUE picture ratio...this forum often has people way too occupied with inspecting their own chocolate starfish to have a little fun.

The position of the switch is actually of greater importance than the position of the cord. You want to make sure that it turns "on" by flipping "down" (i.e. towards your front side or "ventrally"). As several people have pointed out, the reason for this is so that the backup light doesn't accidentally bump the primary light "off" during the dive.

Different manufacturers (and versions) of lights will have the cords in different positions relative to the switch. For example, I have an old AUL (Arnold Jackson) 35W halogen light that I purchased circa 1998 that has the switch in the center of the lid with the cord coming out just below. Running the cord "inside" or "outside" doesn't make any sense with this particular light, because the cord is not oriented to the switch in that way. Even Halcyon has changed their cord configurations over the years, with different models and vintages. My backup primary is an old EE Pro 14 (fitted with an 18W HID head), that is configured similar to the AUL. My main primary is a current model Halcyon Explorer 13.5, with the cord mounted outboard of the light (similar to what has been described above).

All of these are worn the same way - with the switch oriented so that it turns on by flipping ventrally. So it's actually the switch location that you want to standardize on, and then the cord will pretty much take care of itself.

I was taught to put the switch "inboard" because it's an entanglement hazard. Now, I was also taught a bunch of other very picayune detail things about "entanglement hazards", some of which I frankly scoffed at -- "How could I ever get caught on line with THAT?" Well, within two days of post-class diving, I had. I've never been caught on the switch, because I carry it inboard, but I'll bet, given my other experiences, that it'll happen if the switch is elsewhere.

I'm about halfway convinced that line has sentience and a malignant intent. :)

Line is magnetic and evil.

I'm about halfway convinced that line has sentience and a malignant intent. :)

A friend of mine elected to leave his tank boots on during a fundamentals class despite being cautioned by the instructor that they presented a line entanglement hazard. On the next dive after someone shot an SMB the line became entangled on his tank boots......when we surfaced the instructor was laughing and said "today there was one line in the Pacific ocean and it ended up wrapped around your tanks"......when we got back to the dive shop acting as the logistical center for the class, my friend quietly borrowed a hammer and without another word, started to knock the boots off his tanks........too funny.

Yeah, that was me with the way I had the loops tied in my pockets. Danny told me the boltsnaps would migrate out of my pockets and snag line, and I sniffed -- Talk about being anal and compulsive! Well, in my first two days of diving after class, I got snagged TWICE! Needless to say, I undid (or, rather, Nick undid) the loops and I retied them. And got very humble about Danny's advice, too :)

A friend of mine elected to leave his tank boots on during a fundamentals class despite being cautioned by the instructor that they presented a line entanglement hazard. On the next dive after someone shot an SMB the line became entangled on his tank boots......when we surfaced the instructor was laughing and said "today there was one line in the Pacific ocean and it ended up wrapped around your tanks"......when we got back to the dive shop acting as the logistical center for the class, my friend quietly borrowed a hammer and without another word, started to knock the boots off his tanks........too funny.

... ahh a good story from the "3 horsemen of the apocalypse" :D

I do believe there were some "I knew that'd happen" looks as the boots were getting knocked off :wink: Good times.

Back to the topic: I never thought about the position of the switch, but making sure the backup-lights would not turn it off if they hit the switch seems like a good plan. I'll have to have a look when I get home :)

... ahh a good story from the "3 horsemen of the apocalypse" :D

I do believe there were some "I knew that'd happen" looks as the boots were getting knocked off :wink: Good times.

Back to the topic: I never thought about the position of the switch, but making sure the backup-lights would not turn it off if they hit the switch seems like a good plan. I'll have to have a look when I get home :)

And a member of the "siltinators" speaks.........:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom