Canister storage in fridge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

halocline

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering if it's worth it to store a Lithium Ion canister in the fridge for the next several months while I'm not able to do any cave diving. I've read a few places that it helps keep the batteries from deteriorating. Before I stored it, I charged it fully and then ran the light for a few hours to bring it down to 40-50% charge.

So, how many can light owners keep their canister next to the beer? Does it really help?

...//... Does it really help?
Yes, it does.

Even (especially) the little cheapie off-brand guys go in there. See pic. If any of them decide to flame, the house is still good...

On Ice.jpg

I'm wondering if it's worth it to store a Lithium Ion canister in the fridge for the next several months while I'm not able to do any cave diving. I've read a few places that it helps keep the batteries from deteriorating. Before I stored it, I charged it fully and then ran the light for a few hours to bring it down to 40-50% charge.

So, how many can light owners keep their canister next to the beer? Does it really help?

One of the key benefits of Li-Ion over Nimh cells is their *very* much lower self discharge rate. Self discharge is influenced by temperature, but Li-Ion is already so low that I would not bother refrigerating the packs.

As long as any built in "Battery management system" is not drawing significantly more current than the self discharge rate a Li-Ion stored at 40-50 % state of charge should be fine for many months.

Elevating Self-discharge - Battery University

Tobin

If you have the room, and you are a little OCD, it certainly won't hurt it and it will help....a little. For any of my lithium cells not to be used for a good while go in a fridge at about 50% charge.

Mine is in the fridge where it will stay until my better half tells me we need more room in there for thanksgiving.

Back
Top Bottom