Canister Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished a 10W HID light with a 2inch pvc canister. The battries are NiCd 2.8 AHr and should have a burn time ol 120+ minutes, no I havent burn tested it yet. The total cost was just over $200.00 so not to bad.
If anyone is interesed in building a HID light I am going to order some new bulbs as soon as I get enough interested people. If you want I can also get you a new light head so you can upgrade your old canister light total cost would be about $190.00. So if your interested email me at tebarton@attbi.com. Thanks

There is a Yahoo group "hiddivelights" that is informative. It has a number of people who have made their own dive lights and information on them.

Robert:doctor:

Hi Padipro
I got you instructions last night thanks.
Ive allready found the batteries and charger and the housing
material today(total cost so far 0$ :) )
The question-I have the pick of 7 or 10 amp an hour batteries!
What do you think would be better?

Thanks Rick L

Rick,

The more amp hours the battery is rated at the longer it will last. I used my single 7 amp hour battery with a 50 watt halogen bulb for about an hour and a half total time over two night dives and it was still burning bright. Unless you're going to be using the light the entire time during an extended dive I would think the 7 amp would work just fine. Besides, I'm not sure if the 10 amp would fit in the tube even after you expanded it.

Let me know how things turn out after you get the lights completed. And if anyone comes up with a good light head send ME the plans. :D Like I said in the instructions the one I made was made entirely from scratch, it works and doesn't look bad but what a PITA it was to build and I still haven't tried the new lens to see if it can stand up to the heat.

Scott

The 7 and 10s are exactly the same size!
Im not sure im going to use the pipe yet?
I found a sealed pvc box that measures 6"x6"X4 1/2"
I has a o ringed sealed cover with a ss latch.
And has one sealtight on the side to let a control wire in:tease:
The only problem is the pvc tapers thicker towards the bottom of the box! But I think I can grind 1/16" off each side and will be able to fit 2 batteries in? Ill let you know how it turns out!!

Thanks again
Rick L

I am currently building a dive light and I've almost got it done except for the light part. I've built the canister but I'm having problems with the light head. If anybody knows an easy and cheap way to build one, or some ideas that would help, could you please inform me. email acollingwood@shaw.ca or post the reply. Thanks alot

Padipro has just finished a really nice looking Maglite Lite head (for wreck diving),
It has the goods!!!! Im sure he can give you a heap of info, try and PM him

Dave

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom