Canister light proper storage question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wondering how to store canister light properly - canister should be closed or opened?

The way my DiveRite 24W works is that the (Pelican) case serves as a forcing function; it is just large enough to force the user to disconnect the ballast from the cannister, which means you have to unplug the battery from the ballast. The cannister/battery and ballast then fit nicely in two separate parts into the case. It's my understanding you are not supposed to store an HID light with the battery connected to the light.

I'm not sure this is correct protocol for all dive lights. YMMV.

light-full.jpg

I have a Salvo Havoc series (ballast in the canister) 35W HID. Once it has dried, I pop the top, remove the battery, store the battery in a cool dry location (it's Li-Ion) and then put the light head, canister and lid/ballast in a rubbermaid container for storage. I do not reconnect the lid/ballast to the canister for storage.

Much depends on the battery type and whether they vent hydrogen or not. If so, storing it closed can lead to a buildup of hydrogen and a potential explosion if you get an ignition source.

O-rings can also be an issue as they may deform and take a set over time, making them less effective at sealing the cannister.

I agree that the DR approach with the Pelican case seems to be to force you to store the light dissassembled with the cannister open. Of course this also means that if the light or the elastic strap on the light head goes in the case wet, and the case is then closed and sealed, all the electronics of the light are then exposed to a humid environment for a long period of time. This is a good argument for losing the elastic strap and replacing it with an easier to dry metal goodman handle.

In any case the nylon webbing is also slow to dry so you end up having to leave the case open or re-open it to dry overnight once you get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom