Canister light cord idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparkySFD

Reaction score
As new canister lights are wicked expensive the thought of making my own appeals to me. I know there are many threads on this topic. In thinking about this I have just about made up my mind I can do it. The one thing that I was unsure about is the light cord penetration of the lid.

DOES THE CORD PENETRATE THE LID OF A HALCYON LIGHT?

I love Halcyon products. I use it as an example because it is what I want to copy. I would love a new Helios light. Just dont want to spend that much money on a light. I have read about magnetic switches and had an idea for a light cord that didnt penetrate the lid. That way the only way it could leak is from the o-ring seal.

Heres my idea, if its not already done. Machine a lid. Lid will have a threaded contact. The light cord is attached to a threaded end with a contact at the end. This is sealed by a double o-ring. This serves two purposes.

1. Seals out water.
2. Keeps it tight.

What do you think about my idea?

SparkySFD:
As new canister lights are wicked expensive the thought of making my own appeals to me. I know there are many threads on this topic. In thinking about this I have just about made up my mind I can do it. The one thing that I was unsure about is the light cord penetration of the lid.

DOES THE CORD PENETRATE THE LID OF A HALCYON LIGHT?

I love Halcyon products. I use it as an example because it is what I want to copy. I would love a new Helios light. Just dont want to spend that much money on a light. I have read about magnetic switches and had an idea for a light cord that didnt penetrate the lid. That way the only way it could leak is from the o-ring seal.

Heres my idea, if its not already done. Machine a lid. Lid will have a threaded contact. The light cord is attached to a threaded end with a contact at the end. This is sealed by a double o-ring. This serves two purposes.

1. Seals out water.
2. Keeps it tight.

What do you think about my idea?

The cord on the Halcyon lights do penetrate the lid thru a compression fitting. If fitted with the correct size cord, it works very well.

I'm trying to picture what you are suggesting. I'm not sure why it would be a better method, though. In both cases, you need to penetrate the lid (id Halcyon's cord, or your contact). On the Halcyon type, there is a compression fitting. On yours, you would need a compression fitting (or similar waterproof enclosure), AND a way to seal out the contact. Or am I missing something?

SparkySFD:
I have read about magnetic switches and had an idea for a light cord that didnt penetrate the lid. That way the only way it could leak is from the o-ring seal.

A magnetic switch works find to activate something when the power source and the load are sealed in the same unit (i.e. a scooter)

However, with a canister light, the powersource is in the can, the load is attached to the end of the cord. You still need to connect the two, which is going to require a hole of some sort in the lid for the cord to go to the battery.

Either way, you will need to put a hole in the lid, and the existing method seems to work quite well. You could possibly use a magnetic switch to replace the current toggle style switch and eliminate one potential leak point that way, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

On my homemade cannister lights and on my video lights I run the wires through a rubber tube and then use brass plumbing bayonet connectors which have a threaded portion on the other end. I just drill and tap the cannister lid and screw in the connector with a bit of silicone sealant on the threads. To me this is much easier than trying to find waterproof electrical connectors. On my video light I added a second layer of ABS to provide a deeper hole and greater thread area.

A potential solution to this is to use E/O connectors (which are waterproof bulkheads) and then a magnetic switch for the power. However, this will require a relay, as a reed switch will not sink the current required for the light.

You've now added quite a bit of complexity to the cannister. Whether it measurably decreases the risk of floods is the question,and I don't have an answer for you on that.

I didnt explain my idea very well.

Yes at first there would be a hole in the lid. I would machine a threaded hole and then seal in a plug (contact). The cord would actually thread onto the lid.

There is some really great info from Padipro's MSN divelight groups... I am building the same light with modifications...

1. No cicuit breaker... why?
2. Only one battery...
3. I am using a computer UPS unit to charge and keep charged the battery.
4. The reed switch was just too much trrouble, while it would eliminate a source of leakage.
5. I am going to fill the lighthead with mineral oil for heat dispersion and equalize pressure.
6. I got the incorrect strain relief fittings, and will have toglob in some silicone adhsive sealant instead of having the fitting do the work.
7. As a sailor first, I'm covering muy light with West Marine stickers instead of Nitrox diver stickers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom