Canister Light Battery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sylvester

Reaction score
Folks I bought a used AUL canister light, It was purchased without the battery. Is the a common source for baterys I am sure AUL would e happy to sell me a replacement. But I imagine they are available elsewhere?

The batterys are 12V 7amp-hr is that a commonly available battery?

Thanks

they are not gel cells they are sla sealed lead acid real gel cels are much more expensive

very common sla size check local suppliers fire/emergency liting places all those light you see in hallways have slas in them since they are heavy and $ to ship makes snese to buy local but shop prices can vary insanely

i used to use takeouts in my big cannister in emertecny liting they are replaced on schedule with lots of life left so takeouts sell for almost nothing anywher they are maintaining emergcny liting units

The page has both. I never said they were gel cells.

for this battery size, you can stack 2 6v, 9ah batteries from emergency lights.
I got mine at home depot for 10$ a piece. :wink:

sorry didnt mean to suggest you did its a useful link wish id thought of it first :)

just saw the word "gel" and thought the usual warning was in order

actaully the batt station prices are pretty reasonalbe for anyone who cant find a deal locally.

and oh canuck good tip about stacking 6s and home depot great for when the light craps out on a trip and no time for shopping around!

scubanarc once bubbled...
The page has both. I never said they were gel cells.

Are you talking about the square lantern batterys (with pig tails on top) that used to be popular in older larger flashlights?

How do you stack them? Pos to pos or pos to neg? connecting the top battery to the light wires?

Does the 9a effect any thing? if so what and how?

no, not the lantern batteries :wink:

in commercial buildings, you will see the small emergency lights, basically a box with two spotlights on the top that come on as soon as the power is cut off.

Inside the box is one or two 6 volt SLA batteries and a charger.

home depot sells the bits from these systems at a very reasonable price, and I just use the batteries from there, and a standard automotive "trickle" charger (about 1 amp).

As far as stacking them, the batteries have the standard .250" spade terminals on top, so you just wire two of them in series to provide 12v.

NIMH batteries are great, much smaller for a given current capacity, but the sealed lead-acid batteries are dirt cheap and IMHO offer the best "bang for the buck" :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom