cancun water/weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlee

Reaction score
we are leaving next week for cancun and was wondering if anyone could give us info on going in january. Hows the water and weather - can you even get into the water-we usually go in july but have not been in 5 years- thanks for info

Hi Charlee,

I may be listed as a junior member because I am new here. But I am not new to Cancun. I have been going there an average of 2+x per year for over 10 years. I was just there in November and they were starting construction and repairs during the slow season.

January is a slower, more laid back or quiet month. Around New Years there is a slight increase in occupancy mostly from "locals" however, that dies off as the month goes on.

Daytime you are looking at 80-85 and say 65 for evening temps. Water temps are maybe 78-80. It can get a little nippy above water with the occasional wind but not unbearable.

You can rent wetsuits when you are there relatively cheap.

You should get some really good deals. Where are you staying? I would be more than happy to suggest places to go, things to do or put you in touch with a friend of mine who runs a transportation / van service. He is a very knowledgable (and reasonably priced) guide as well as a marine biologist who gave it all up to enjoy the good life.

I'm also going to Cancun in early February for about 2 weeks. The plan is to spend a week in Cancun and another week in Cozumel. Any recommendations on where to get certified for a PADI advance license in Cancun?

My friends and I would prefer to do it at Coz, but it's not possible
due to other plans.

I am going to Cancun on Tuesday....Is there an absolutely must dive site that I will be upset to miss? I have never been to Cancun and this is a last minute trip so I have not even had a chance to research diving in Cancun.

I was in Cancun at the end of Dec. and the first days of Jan. it was a little clowdy, but still very warm. The water was nice at about 80*F. I hope you have fun!! I did :wink:
- A J

I had a great time. I will be going back next year for sure.

Hi I have been diving south of cancun . There is a place called Dive Aventuras owners Mike and Karen they are in purerto Aventuraus check their web site www.diveaventuras.com They are haveing specials on dive instructors Niel is the instructot check them out. I recomend highly . They have alot of repeat divers and will help with anything. Contact Debbie or Karen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom