Cancun/Riviera Maya recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have found some useful info here regarding Cancun by searching. I am hoping to get some quick opinions on the Riviera Maya before we buy the tickets. Nothing like waiting till the last minute, (we plan to leave on the 19th), but Joe and I have decided to go to Cancun for our honeymoon.
Joe is not certified yet, so it will not be a scuba-centric week. We would, however, like to do some serious snorkeling while there.
We are on a budget, and would like to stay in an all-inclusive place that's least touristy, with fairly nice rooms (it's our honeymoon, after all!) and great beaches. Are there any hotels to avoid? Any with great value? I am finding a lot of information, and it's hard to choose one resort from the other, they all look pretty good to us.

The site we are planning to book from is Apple Vacations. Anyone have any experience with them? Can I trust the apple ratings?

Tanks in advance for your input!

:doh: Bad pun. You can all slap me for that later. :05:

Sue

I was married a year ago and so haven't been on www.theknot.com for a while, but the honeymoon message board there was always full of brides heading to the Riviera Maya. The resort of choice seemed to be Adventura Spa Palace (ASP) and the reviews were coming back pretty positive. I believe you'll find people who have used Apple Tours as well. Since this will be your honeymoon, you might want to go there for recommendations in regards to romance and budget. =)

We stayed at the Viva Maya around Thanksgiving 2002 and I would not recommend it, especially not for a honeymoon. But Playa del Carmen is a cute town and there are several dive operators there. Don't miss the Mayan ruins at Chitzen Itza and Tulum. Have fun!!

SueMermaid:
I have found some useful info here regarding Cancun by searching. I am hoping to get some quick opinions on the Riviera Maya before we buy the tickets. Nothing like waiting till the last minute, (we plan to leave on the 19th), but Joe and I have decided to go to Cancun for our honeymoon.
Joe is not certified yet, so it will not be a scuba-centric week. We would, however, like to do some serious snorkeling while there.
We are on a budget, and would like to stay in an all-inclusive place that's least touristy, with fairly nice rooms (it's our honeymoon, after all!) and great beaches. Are there any hotels to avoid? Any with great value? I am finding a lot of information, and it's hard to choose one resort from the other, they all look pretty good to us.

The site we are planning to book from is Apple Vacations. Anyone have any experience with them? Can I trust the apple ratings?

Tanks in advance for your input!

:doh: Bad pun. You can all slap me for that later. :05:

Sue

Hi Sue,
I went by an Apple Vacation back at the end of May. It was awesome. We stayed at the Aventura Spa Palace. We did not want to leave. The food was incredible, the service fantastic. The beach however does not sound like it would meet your requirements!!! This might be a pricey trip too. It was about 1500 from Cincinnati, all inclusive. They have a sister resort Xpu-Ha Palace. This is supposed to be great for snorkeling. Check out the Palace resorts website. www.palaceresorts.com
The only fault I found with Apple is their transportation. You ride a big bus loaded with people going to lots of different resorts and it takes forever. If you have the transfers included, ride the bus to the resort, but take a taxi to the airport to return. You don't want to have to get on the bus at 5am to make a 9am flight!!!!! Sorry I don't know more, about more resorts, but this is the only one I went to. (I did my certification at Aventura. Did even think I was going to scuba dive, ever.)
Hope this helps some!!!

Thanks so much, you have been very helpful. Joe and I booked our trip at a different hotel, the Secrets Capri Riviera, it is comparable to the Adventura. We got a honeymoon suite, and it looks lovely. I spoke with some co-workers about it.
Thanks for the tip about the transfer bus, we will definitely heed that!

Im going to Mexico! :banana:

When are you going? I'll carry your gear!!!

I just took my daughter (in July)to Cancun for her 18th birthday and we too did an Apple Vacation. I agree wholeheartedly with the suggestion to take a cab to the airport for the return trip.. getting up at 5am and riding the crowded bus stinks. Also plan on having plenty of time at the airport - they do not have baggage scanners and have to search the bags by hand so it does take awhile.

Also, be prepared to be delayed. Both legs of our flight were delayed about an hour - though once on the flight, the charter flight itself was very nice. Overall we were very pleased with the trip and felt it was well worth the money. We will definately do an Apple vacation again.

I think the area makes an awesome honeymoon choice - plenty to do both on land and sea. There are some awesome eco tours if you are into that sort of thing. We did one that included hiking/biking/kayaking/repelling/zip line/ and climbing down into a centoe - very fun! I have tons of pictures on imagestation - if you want a "preview" - I'd be glad to send you a link- just post again if you'd like a link and I will get it posted.

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials!

The Cancun airport has two terminals. One for charters and one for major carriers. I've not been in the one for charters, but the one for the major carriers is very very nice! Not a bad place to wait at all. Nice foodcourt, lots of shopping and even a TGIFridays if you want to get back to homestyle. I'm going to Akumal again in December for my 4th time in a row.

Since you won't be diving.....check to see if your resort does the snorkeling tour of NaHoch NaChich cenote. You can snorkel it and see quite a bit while still being in the light zone and the air zone. You can actually go way back in the cave and still be in air. I've cave dived it several times and there are always snorkelers there at the same time. There's a package that includes your snorkeling and also lunch there on the landowner's ranch.

And of course, a visit to Tulum is a must!! Be sure to take your swimsuit and take a dip in the ocean right beside the pyramid.

pennypue:
When are you going? I'll carry your gear!!!
9/20-9/26.

Not nearly long enough.
It's SOOO good to have a trip booked and an airline ticket waiting for us. Yay! :banana:

I will dive some, but not a whole lot, as it would be rude to abandon my new husband on our honeymoon too much! Thanks for the snorkeling suggestions, Lori! I have been wanting to see the Cenotes.

Sorry I'm chiming in late.... although a lot of younger people like the Palace resorts, the last three people I know who went to the Aventure, Xpu[Ha, and Moon were very dissapointed in the level of service and quality (when considering price paid). I just went toa wedding at the Moon Palace and the result is I will never stay at the chain again.

If you have the chance when going to Tulum, you may want to stop in Akumal as well for a little snorkeling and good food either at Lol-Ha or Cueva del Pescador.

There is also www.hiddenworlds.com that takes you snorkeling at Tak-Be-Ha and Hilario's well. You can do the snorkel and or diving trip and their guides are very good.

Congrats and have a wonderful trip.
maria

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom