Cancun Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1Deepcat

Registered
Reaction score
The ski & summer mountain resort town of Ketchum (
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm headed to Cancun May 5th thru 12th with a couple of buddies :eyebrow: , we're staying at the Imperial Fiesta Club at Casa Maya. We've never been to Cancun and we're looking for some recommendations on dive operators and suggested sites to dive... I know the diving is better in Coz' (is a day trip realistic - any suggestions?), but I'm looking for some suggestions in Cancun that will keep three single guys out of trouble for a couple of days :wink: . Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

My buddy and I will be travelling with the wives (non-divers) May 4-11. We're staying in PDC this year, same as last year. The 2 years before that we stayed @ Moon Palace which is a little south of Cancun. All 4 years, including this one, we've dove with Dive Puerto Morelos out of Puerto Morelos. I don't know exactly where your hotel is but we've never minded spending $ to take a cab and dive with these guys. The diving is awesome and the service is personal. We're diving with them May 5, 7, & 8. Some of the dive ops. you'll find in Cancun are "cattle boat" type operations.

We've also always gotten in 1 or 2 days diving on Cozumel by getting down to PDC and taking an early ferry over for 2 tank morning dives. This year we're doing 3 days May 9, 10, & 11. So, it's definitely possible. Of course this has gotten easier since we started staying in PDC.

Drop Ben Mooney a line at www.mayanaquadive.com. He can offer a tailored dive schedule and tell you the best place for food and brewskies! He has great prices.

Also, if you're looking for some discount passes, give Al Mason a call over at www.britsincancun.com. He and Ben are associates....

Also, I'm envious....water at the quarry was 41 degrees on Sat. BUT MY DRYSUIT CAME IN TODAY!! :D

1Deepcat:
Scott~

Thanks for the info. If I can get the guys interested in a day trip maybe we'll see you over there, or perhaps with the DPM guys.

Best~

J
It would be awesome to share a boat with you guys.

I just returned from Cancun last week. Diving was great...it's a very under-rated place. Diving is excellent...generally more marine life than Cozumel, plus more options for "surface intervals"...aka bars, restaurants, beaches, music, etc. And dive sites aren't packed like they are in Cozumel.

Mayan Aqua Dive is a young group (mid-twenties). They have a lot of energy, and offer a different vibe than other operators. They're serious about diving and very professional, but it's kind of a college "fun feeling" with their operation. Hard to put into words, but you'll get the idea if you dive with Ben, Marcela, Alex, and crew. I dove with Manta Divers previously, and while they're very good, the chemistry just seemed a better match with Mayan Aqua Dive, so I gave it a shot and things worked out really well.

Think about doing a cenote dive while you're there, too. M.A.D. offers cenote trips, as well as Cozumel. I'll post more info on the trip, with picture links, in the near future. Great people, great diving, great city. Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom