Cancun-Marina Maroma and sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SueMermaid

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello Scubaboard! It's been WAY too long since I have logged in, I just looked and my last login was in January! I really oughta keep up here.
How's everyone been?

I just got back from a week in Cancun. It was lovely, even though my husband was sick as a dog for the whole week with strep throat. Poor guy. I did manage to get away for a day and go diving at Marina Maroma with a small dive op there called "Staff Divers". The diving was nice but there was something the DM said that haunts me.
He told me in passing that they had found a new reef that they plan to take the dive tourists to, but first, they needed to "scare off" the sharks. By scaring off, he added, he means, shoot them all. The tourist divers don't like them, he said.
This is atrocious, and it's very sad to even think about. Has anyone else heard this sort of thing from a dive op in Cancun? Are you as appalled by this as I am? Can anyone suggest a phone number or a website or something?

Tell them to call it a shark dive and charge more money, if they see more dollars from leaving the sharks alone, they will.

Mike

If it were a place that catered to divers, that would be the obvious answer. :)
Since Cancun is not exactly a hub for divers like Cozumel is, they typically get short timers there at this place. When I went, there were no less than 500 snorkelers and there were five divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom