Cancun in Jan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquaworld took us out in the 2 days before Wilma hit and as I remember, we were the only boats out those days. Huge swells on the surface and strong surge over the reef. I'm proof that some boats will go out regardless of weather. Thankfully they have those big cattle boats :wink: .

I see a couple of you referred to the diving in Cancun as drift diving and as my wife and I were talking last night neither of us could recall drifting when following the DM, only fighting the pre-storm surge around the reefs. We never really were able to enjoy a drift. At the time I was just happy to be down but I know this limited our bottom time. We were newly certified prior to that trip so at the time being underwater was all that really mattered.

I appreciate the comment about the pre-dive briefing too! With Aquaworld we literally had none other than decend quickly come up at 750psi then wait for the boat to collect you. This time, with a smaller operator (Scuba Cancun), I'll be asking for and expecting better briefings. We'll also be hoping for a more relaxed viewing of the life on the reef rather than the "swim to cover it all" we had last time with Aquaworld.

This will likely be our last planned trip to Cancun and it will be Coz going forward.

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far!

Scott

We highly recommend Dennis... especially if you are considering cenotes. We were newly certified and felt very comfortable with him.

We went in may and dove with Solo Buceo. They are located at the Dreams resort right next to Fiesta Americana Coral. It's a great location cause it's only a 5 to 10 minute ride to all the best locations. el tunel was my fav. The ratio of DM's to divers is great. They were all very fun and personable. Martin was incredible at finding everthing hidden. The dive boats were fine and so were the prices (i think 65 for 2 tanks). As for the conditions, I've had better, but to me it was really fun. One day we had 8 to 10 foot swells with two currents that crossed at different levels but it was manageable. We also did a night dive in the rain that was incredible. They also have trips to the cenotes.

Last month we were in Cancun. The first day of diving was with Aquaworld. Everything mentioned so far about going out in practically any condition, needing a good dive briefing before getting to the site, etc is accurate. The second day was with Manta. Again, everything about them being great to dive with, accomodating, etc is accurate. I don't know about the other ops mentioned, but I thought Manta was great. The next time I go there, Manta will be who I definitely call.

Scott,
I just got back myself. Wel aslo dove with manta and John and Mimi are very nice people. Leif and Miquel are the best. I would NEVER dive with Alex again. We had a very bad expierence with Alex. I e-mailed Mimi today and was very happy that she wrote back. Alex denies the facts as they happened but the rest of us know what happenes we were there. I would dive with them again just NEVER with alex. As a matter of fact everyone in my party plans to report him to Padi. As for the weather I would not trust any dive shop to be upfront with you. If it has stormed wait a few days to dive. I was there in Feb. and the diving was awesome as well as the viz. Again I am not bad mouthing Manta just Alex be careful you do not get him.
Have fun

Back
Top Bottom