Cancun/Cozumel Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjp63

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Cancun - Manta Divers
================
Tuesday, April 16, 2002
- Six divers with one guide (Pancho)
- Water temperature 79' F
- Visibility 60-75 ft
- First dive at Aristos (max depth 55 ft) included several moray eels, including one that wanted a piece of Pancho's fin, barracuda, porcupine fish, and a massive school of fish
- Second dive at Punta Negra (max depth 49 ft) included large crab inside cavern, barracuda, lobster, a pair of large trunkfish, and a queen triggerfish

Wednesday, April 17, 2002
- Nine divers with two guides (Pancho and Juan)
- Water temperature 79' F
- AOW Navigation and Underwater photography with Juan
- First dive at Grampin (max depth 50 ft) included large parrot, sea turtle, barracuda, large french angel, sand dogs, and crab
- Second dive at Punta Cancun (max depth 40 ft) included stingray, moray eels, and lowest visibility of the trip (35-40 ft)

Friday, April 19, 2002
- Three divers with two guides (Pancho and Juan)
- Water temperature 81' F
- Visibility 50-75 ft
- First dive at C-58 wreck at Anaya (max depth 81 ft) included AOW deep dive certification with Juan, grouper munching on pork fish, several eagle rays, spiny lobster, and a nice tour of the inside of the wreck
- Second dive at Banderas (max depth 30 ft) included AOW Naturist, barracuda, scorpion fish, family of lobsters, small moray eel, large puffer in crevice, and large trigger
- Third dive (night) at Sanwich (max depth 30 ft) included AOW Night with Juan, small nurse shark, very large midnight parrot, many squid, lobster, and crab, cow fish, puffer, and large trunkfish

Saturday, April 20, 2002
- Three divers with one guide (Pancho)
- Water temperature 82' F
- Visibility 60-70 ft
- First dive at C-55 wreck at Barrera (max depth 75 ft) included a long tour of the inside of the wreck, which was more interesting than the C-58 wreck. The C-55 still has cannon and propellers.
- Dolphins on surface between dives and also picked up several pieces of driftwood
- Second dive at Grampin (max depth 51 ft) included nurse shark, very large barracude (~ 5 ft), and crab

Cozumel - Caballito Del Caribe
=====================
Monday, April 22, 2002
- Eight divers with one guide (Israel)
- Too many novice divers (less than 10 dives) who kept banging into others, would have preferred a smaller, more advanced group
- Water temperature 81' F
- Visibility 100+ ft
- First dive at Palancar Garden (max depth 74 ft) included lots of lobster, two sea turtles, and large triggerfish.
- Second dive at Paso Del Cedral (max depth 53 ft) included large midnight parrot, biggest lobster I've ever seen (~ 3 ft), many barracuda

Notes
====
- First time using my new dive computer (Suunto Mosquito) and I was extremely pleased with its performance. Even had the opportunity to switch to metric readings to provide English divers converted dive statistics.
- Cozumel is everything it's touted to be, but don't sell Cancun short. I was blown away with the variety and maturity (read BIG!) of fish. Also, experienced some very strong currents in Cancun that I had never encountered before - some good exercise!
- I've attached a picture I took of my AOW instructor - Juan Cardona. He was a great instructor!

Now this is a very nice dive report, I wonder why nobody even replied?

Where is the C-55 wreck?

dlndavid:
Now this is a very nice dive report, I wonder why nobody even replied?
Probably because it isn't in the Cozumel thread where all the action is......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom