Cancun Airport Eliminates Fee For Multiple Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Cancun Airport eliminates costly customs tax charging travelers for multiple devices

Travelers to Cancun no longer have to worry about paying up to hundreds of dollars to customs for bringing more than one laptop or tablet in their luggage.

In a Facebook video posted on Friday, Quintana Roo Governor Mara Lezama announced Cancun International Airport – the busiest airport in Mexico – is eliminating the country's longstanding tax on foreign arrivals bringing more than one "a portable computer equipment known as laptop, notebook, Omnibook or similar" through airport customs effective immediately.

I sure hope this applies or will be extended to CZM. Doesn't the airport operate under the jurisdiction of Cancun customs?

Cancun Airport eliminates costly customs tax charging travelers for multiple devices

Travelers to Cancun no longer have to worry about paying up to hundreds of dollars to customs for bringing more than one laptop or tablet in their luggage.

In a Facebook video posted on Friday, Quintana Roo Governor Mara Lezama announced Cancun International Airport – the busiest airport in Mexico – is eliminating the country's longstanding tax on foreign arrivals bringing more than one "a portable computer equipment known as laptop, notebook, Omnibook or similar" through airport customs effective immediately.

I sure hope this applies or will be extended to CZM. Doesn't the airport operate under the jurisdiction of Cancun customs?
Yeah, right. I'll believe when I see it. And there is no mention of photographic equipment.

I have never been asked about it in the Cozumel airport and our bags have been inspected a couple of times when we had a laptop and two iPads.

I have never been asked about it in the Cozumel airport and our bags have been inspected a couple of times when we had a laptop and two iPads.

I have been asked several times in Cozumel if I have more than one camera as they eyed the housing and camera but I was never charged for them. I now put the camera into the housing before arrival so it appears as one device and not two.

I have been asked several times in Cozumel if I have more than one camera as they eyed the housing and camera but I was never charged for them. I now put the camera into the housing before arrival so it appears as one device and not two.
This is about computers and other similar electronic equipment.

Didn't the Federal Government say that housings aren't taxable and yet the Cabo airport is still tying to collect that tax?

This is about computers and other similar electronic equipment.
I was responding to post #2 and on subject, yes, we have been asked in Cozumel regarding multiple computers but again no charge. But that we were asked sent up a red flag thus I bring only one old computer to view my images. I do not know of anyone being taxed in Cozumel, but I have been asked and I know a few others who have also. Since my wife and I make two, when asked I just smiled and said one is hers and the other is mine, be it photo devices or computer devices. And they smiled and away we went. Cozumel is friendly and pain free so perhaps I read into the question more than it means.

This article states the exemption only applies to Cancun. In the past I typically brought a laptop and a tablet for reading books. After it was publicized that Cancun was fining travelers I just took one. The enforcement for multiple electronic devices seemed to spread. In late August in Cozumel the customs agent specifically asked if I had more than one. Again several weeks back, same thing in Cabo. Now that the military oversees the airports and a soldier with a rifle stands behind the customs gal they seem to be more aggressive on fines. I hope this gets resolved before I return in a few weeks

SMH. Again I wonder why bite the hand feeding you?

It grates on me. MEX is pretty much off my list of places I will go. For any reason. The juice just ain't worth the squeeze.

SMH. Again I wonder why bite the hand feeding you?

It grates on me. MEX is pretty much off my list of places I will go. For any reason. The squeeze just ain't worh the juice.
When I hit Nassau, Bahamas for a Blackbeards trip, the customs folks did not want to look at may bags, just asked if I was bringing in boat parts. :cool:

The most annoying part at CZM is I bat .666 for RED and have the joy of repacking a table's worth of stuff into my originally VERY space efficient bags after the disgusted agents don't find anything to ding me for. I think I'll just bring a extra duffel next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom